Chapter 22

Emma's POV

I looked back out of curiosity to see if the lady would turn into the tree or maybe disappear from the spot. The tree was back to normal as if nothing happened.

I quickly turned my head around to see where Xander was leading us.

After what seemed like forever we got to the top of a hill, by the time we stopped I was out of breath. I was wheezing but I didn't complain, the trip was my idea.

"Let's rest here." Xander said sitting at the  edge of the hill.

I was relieved by his words. Those were the three best words I had heard that day.

Daina sighed loudly and I looked over at her.

"I can open a portal and get us to my father's kingdom in seconds." She told Xander.

Xander looked over at her then at me. I knew he was signaling that I talk to her. I could see it in his eyes that he wasn't in the mood to talk to her.

"He's kinda tired Daina, we can continue our journey tomorrow. Don't worry your father won't give up before we get to him." I told her. Not sure if what I was saying was true.

She looked worried and rubbed her arm anxiously. She then forced a smile and nodded before walking back to where D'angelo and her stepmother were.

I silently went and sat beside Xander. I turned to look at him then turned my head to look at the sunset.

Xander turned to look at me but said nothing. He then scratched his arm exposing three long  scars.

I'd never seen those scars on his arm before, so they caught my attention the moment they was exposed. I was curious about why they hadn't disappeared, since his skin could heal quickly. I leaned closer to get a clearer view of his injured arm.

"What happened to your arm?!" I asked him.

He turned his head to look at the scar, then looked away as if he was thinking about something.

"When I was younger I had a close friend, Catelin she's a Werewolf. She was the most free spirited person I'd ever met. We hung out a lot and trained together almost everyday. On the night of the moon's birthday we were in the forest behind the kingdom talking about random things. I said something to her and that's how I got this scar. She scratched me."

  "The moon's birthday?" I questioned.

  "Yeah, it's when the moon absorbs too much sunlight causing it and the clouds to gain a red colour, this only happens once a year. The moon's birthday is the night werewolves get stronger and all their capabilities enhance, it's a very painful process. During the transformation they lose their memory so they will hurt loved ones if they are around them.

I listened to him with deep interest.
"Oh!"

"The night was fine until I said those words to her, she just went quiet. Before I knew it she scratched me and ran off. I was bed ridden for an entire month fighting for my life. I thought my words angered her but I later realized that it was the moon's birthday."

"Oh, so where is she now?!" I asked him.

"I don't know, I never saw her again. I looked for her, but never found her. It was as if she'd been erased from existence."

I ran my hand through my hair and cleared my throat.
  "Do you miss her?!"

He looked at me then sighed. He moved closer to me and took my hands in his. He ran his thumbs across the back my thumb

"No Emma, we weren't romantically involved but I do miss her. She was my closest friend."

"Don't you miss your best friend?" He asked.

   I felt uneasy so I drew my hands away from his and looked away.

I missed my friend, I missed my family, I missed my home. His question made me home sick. In that moment I felt like sobbing my eyes out.

I took a deep breath and turned my head to face him.
"Yeah. I do."

I felt the tears welling in my eyes as I sighed. I didn't want him to see me cry again but I couldn't hold back the tears. I turned away and buried my face in my hands.

   He moved closer to me and hugged me. His breathing was slow as he ran his fingers through my hair. We stayed like that until my crying ceased and I felt better again. With his eyes fixed on my face he slowly moved away from me. He used his thumb to wipe away my tears and I slowly held my head up.

  "I'm so sorry I asked you that question Emma. I didn't mean to make you cry."

  I squeezed his arm and sighed.

"It's okay Xander. I know you didn't mean to."

He kissed my forehead and smiled. His lips were warm and soft against my forehead. I smiled when he began playfully kissing my cheek.

  "I love to see you smiling, your smile is like the sun rise on the horizon. You should do it more often."

I laughed at his words.

  "That's cheesy Xander."

"Cheesy? What's cheesy?"

"You really don't know?"

"No!"

"Seriously Xander?"

"Come on Emma, I'm a supernatural creature who hasn't been on the human side for a long time."

"I'm tired I'll tell you tomorrow."  I told him.

He shook his head and went to look for a place to set up the Slome.

ㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁ
Th3 3Nd
Don't forget to:
Hit the star below and leave a comment in the comment section👋🏼👋🏼