Chapter 30

Xander's POV

"Prince Xander your father has requested to see you." A servant said after knocking on the door.

"Tell him I will be there soon."

I got up from my desk and walked over to Emma who was fast asleep. She looked peaceful and I didn't want to wake her so I tried leaving the room quietly but she woke up anyway.

"Where are you going?" She asked in a sleepy voice.

"I'm going to meet my dad. Breakfast will be here soon." I told her.

"Will you gone for long?" She asked.

"I won't."
I closed the door and walked to my father's throne room unwrapping a gum on the way.

His Salwares let me in and closed the door. My father was sitting on the window sill,  looking ahead of him. I walked closer to him with my hands in my pockets.

"You called me?"  I asked.

  "Ah yes! Sit here." My Father answered patting the empty space on the window sill.

  I sat beside him and he stared at me.

"You look fresh." He said smirking.

"What do you mean!?" I asked confused.

"Like you've been-"

"No. Stop it dad! I've never touched her."

"You're such a terrible liar son. You always  have been."

"Dad I'm serious. I've never touched her.Wait is that why you called me here?"

"Actually, no. I just wanted to know why you have this fresh look."

I watched him laugh as if I'd said something funny.

"Did you see Cait!?" He asked after he stopped laughing.

"Yeah, I saw her in the kitchen yesterday."

"Good. Did she tell you she would be living here from now on?"

"Yeah dad, she did. I can't believe she's pregnant for King Grey."

"I can, I know my brother. He's a charmer. He was always good with the ladies even the ones he wasn't supposed to date." He said shaking his head.

"She needs you now more than ever  Xander you're her closest and only friend. Callious took her family away from her. She's a good girl she just lost her way. Don't be too hard on her." He continued.

"It's a lot to take in but I'm not mad at her."

"You have to be there for her. I know it is a lot to ask but she needs you."

"I know. I will be there for her. I told that to her, but I'm going to need a while to understand her situation."

"I think you need to talk to her again. See where she's coming from."

"I know, I'm not ready yet though dad. I need some time."

"I understand son." He placed his hand around my shoulder and patted my chest.

"I also want to talk to you about whatever it is you have with Emma."

I sighed loudly. "Here we go again."

  "Your mother is the first woman I'd ever loved. She made me realize I have a heart. There were many times when I was with her that I forgot who I really was. I would do anything for her, even give up my kingdom. Giving birth to you was another special gift she gave to me."My father said looking away from me.

  It had been a while since my father and I sat down and talked like that. It felt like forever.

  "I remember the day I met her. She wore a short pink dress that swayed as she danced alone. All the men on the dance floor tried to dance with her but she rejected them all. I being me, a foolish and overly confident man, asked her to dance thinking she would fall for my charm. She only smiled and walked away. That was the first time I'd  ever been rejected."

"Mom rejected you?" I asked him not being able to stop myself from laughing.

"Yes, she did. Your mother rejected me for an entire year, but I never gave up trying because I knew that she would be my wife."

  He chuckled to himself as if he was remembering something.

"Sure she was." I said shaking my head.

My father turned his head to look at me.
"What do you mean?"

"I'm just saying. If she was the one she would've accepted us for who we are. We wouldn't have to hide who we were all those years.

"Life isn't always how we want it to be son. It presents us with choices and with each choice you have to make a sacrifice you'll have to live with for the rest of your life."

He removed his arm from around my shoulder and exhaled heavily.

  "Alexander, I know you love her. I've seen the way you look out for her and how distressed you get when she's away from you. With her you will have to sacrifice things. I am your father Xander, and I just want what's best for you. As much as I would love a grandchild before I go, I won't be selfish. No matter what decision you make you'll always be my son and I will always love you." He said patting my shoulder.

I looked at my father and saw something I'd never seen before. It was fear, my father was afraid. I'd never seen my father afraid before, so I didn't know how to react.

  "You don't have to worry about me. I'll be okay." I replied.

  "You remind me of when I was younger, but you're  smarter than I was. I can tell you that.'' He said chuckling. 

"Son, don't do anything you know you will regret. Love is a very serious thing. It can break you, but it can also make you."

"It's been so long since we've spoken like this father. I miss listening to your advices."

"Oh! So you do take my advices. This is hard to believe. Alexander is this you?"

  "Father that's not true."

"I see."

"You raised me right dad, don't ever have second thoughts about my upbringing."

He smiled at me proudly.

"I'm proud of the man you've become. I can't say I agree with everything you've done, but I'm proud of you.''

He patted my back and smiled.

"Go check on Emma. Make sure she's okay and tell her I said hello."

"Yeah, I will."

I smiled and came down from the window. I turned to walk away when my father called out to me.

"Son!"

I turned to look at him.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too dad." I replied.
....______________....._____________....