Chapter 33

Xander's POV

  "Emma!? Are you okay?" I asked.
Hearing my voice Emma slowly turned around to me.

Her eyes glowed in the darkness that covered the room. The window was open and the night air was coming in. "Yeah I'm fine Xander, just reading." She replied.

I walked over to her and sat beside her on the couch. "There's not much light for you to even see your hands Emma so ho-"

My words trailed off when she started smiling.
"So, you've finally mastered night vision!?" I asked smiling.

"It's more interesting when I read in the darkness Xander. The words glow on the pages and I see everything taking place in the book."

She placed the book on the nearby table and turned her attention to me. Her eyes were glowing so bright it was impossible for me to look into them.

"Your eyes are glowing." I told her.

"I know isn't it amazing? Watch this!"

She closed her eyes, exhaled lightly then opened them again. "Are my eyes back to normal?" She asked smiling proudly.

"They are." I answered.

I could see how proud she was that she'd mastered night vision all on her own.

She moved closer to me and placed her arm on my lap. "How long have I been apart of your world?" she asked curiously looking up at me.

  "You mean since you got here or since you were born?" I asked turning my face to her.

"Since I got here."

"About two years. Don't you know? Why are you asking? I replied.

"What if I'd stayed home and on the night of that party? Do you think all of this would've happened?"

She sighed and I turned my face away from her to look out the window. The moon looked exactly like it did when the Gloans tried to attack her. I exhaled heavily remembering the events of that night. 

  I didn't know that Emma would be there and that I would have to save her. I didn't even believe the Posytyve was more that a myth until I saw her with my own eyes.

   "I was called by my father and told that the Gloan king, Terriss sent his right hands to destroy one of our main portal chargers. I was there just in time to beat the crap out of them when you became their target. They sensed your gift in an instant. That's how I met you and realised it couldn't be coincidence." I told her running my free hand through my hair.

She remained silent for a while and I didn't have anything else to say. She suddenly lifted her arm from my lap and placed it on her's.

"See, you weren't even there to save me. Those Gloan things weren't even there to capture me Xander. If only I had stayed at the party and waited for my sister and her dumb boyfriend to stop playing beer pong and getting wasted. I'd be at home with my family again." She said with regret in her voice.

This time I was the one who remained silent. Shocked by her words I looked away from her and refused to look at her for the rest of the nigh. I was angry and disappointed at her way of thinking. I couldn't believe this was how she felt all along. 

I understood that she missed her family and was home sick but I couldn't help but get  upset at the fact that I sacrificed everything for her to be happy just to find out that she wasn't comfortable and hid this from me.

  "You faked being happy here, but answer this question. Did you fake having feelings for me too?"

  She turned her head and stared at me. I was still avoiding her eyes. I didn't want to look at her, I couldn't.

  "Xander, what do you mean?"

I stood up still avoiding her eyes.

   "I have something important I have to get done. Don't wait up for me because I won't be back until tomorrow." I told her.

   I walked away not looking back at her or waiting for a response, I just left. I couldn't be in the same room with her any longer. I was never good at expressing my emotions because it made me feel vulnerable. Whenever I felt defeated I would just walk away.

I walked to the kitchen, got myself a bottle of red wine and a glass from the shelf then headed to my balcony to enjoy my own company.

I locked the door from inside so no one could bother me. I walked over to the edge of the balcony and sat there. The city lights on the mountain shone and the city looked lively.

  I poured myself some wine and said cheers to the air before placing the glass to my lips and finishing it. I exhaled heavily then ran my hand through my hair.

   I'd  never felt the way I did before. It felt like someone stabbed me in the heart and was watching me end.

I was pouring myself another glass of wine when Cleora appeared from out of nowhere and sat beside me.
_________________________________