Chapter 25

Emma's POV

"Everyone take cover! There's an attack on our kingdom!" That was the first thing I heard when I woke up.

I quickly sprang to my feet and ran to the door. I tried to open it, but it was tightly closed. I panicked and pulled it with force. The door swung open and smashed against the wall. I knew something was wrong the second the door was open. Thick black smoke blew against my face immediately after I left the room.

On the other side of the smoke were shouts and fighting. I inhaled too much smoke  and fainted. I wasn't passed out for long because soon after I got up and walked through the smoke.

I wasn't fully in control of my body but I felt strong and powerful. I walked through the thick black smoke trying to see where I was going. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. The sight on the other side was horrific. Half of the palace was unrecognizable. The building was wrecked.

"Emma! Where are you?" I heard someone call out to me.

I recognized the voice. It was Xander's.

"Xander, where are you!?" I shouted back.

"She's here! She's here! Emma?! Tell me where you are I'm coming to get you!" He shouted again.

"Xander! I'm over here! Over here!" I shouted hoping he could hear me and know where I was.

In a few seconds Xander was carrying me through the smoke. I was in and out of consciousness.

I slowly opened my eyes, they felt heavy and barely opened. I tried to move my fingers but they felt numb. I wanted to sit up but I couldn't.

I looked over to my left and Xander's head rose to look at me. He looked restless and badly injured. He had cuts and bruises all over his arm. He didn't treat them and that made me frown.

"Xander!" I managed to weakly say.

"Emma, How are you feeling!?" He asked getting up to stand next to me.

When I blinked, my eyes burned. A drop of blood ran from my index finger and thumb, but I was able to move them again.

I pointed toward his wounds. He looked down at them and fell silent.

"Xander, you're hurt!"

He closed his jacket and covered the arm that was badly hurt.

"It's okay, don't worry about it. You'll be okay soon."

That was the last thing I heard before I passed out again.

When I opened my eyes the last time I was in Xander's room at his palace. The room door slowly opened and Xander walked in. He looked worried and stressed. The bruises he had were dressed and he looked better than he did the first time I woke up.

I looked away from him trying to sit up. He rushed to help me.

"Emma take it easy you haven't  fully recovered yet." He said helping me up.

I gave him an appreciative smile. I couldn't look straight into his eyes though. I tried looking up but every time I did my eyes burnt.

"Hey!" I managed to say.

A smile hugged his face as he sat beside me. He held onto my hand as if I was slipping away and used the other hand to slowly rub his jaw.

"How are you feeling Emma? Do you remember anything? You've been out for two days."

My mouth hung.
"Two days? How is this even possible? I slept that long? No, no. I don't remember much."

He stared at the floor. He released my hand and ran his fingers through my hair.