Chapter 14

Jake and I went home without even doing anything that night together. We had an hour together after Jake had his security call for a flight and he got it. We went back to Chicago and to his house, and he was exhausted. We both were. It was only 7pm, but we were tired and we weren't even staying at his house. We were going to his parents to see what was going on. It sucked.

When we go to his parents, his mom answered the door crying and immediately hugged Jake, repeating how much she loved him and how she needed him. He held her and looked up at me and she hugged me.

"I'm sorry I made you come home-I'm sorry." She cried and Jake shook his head.

"It's fine. We dropped the case anyway." He said and I nodded. She looked concerned on why, but clearly didn't want to ask and she just looked so upset.

"He won't allow anyone near him Jake. I don't know what to do." She said and he nodded.

"We'll figure it out. Me and Blaire will go up." He said and he motioned to me. She nodded and he grabbed my hand and led me upstairs to the house and into his office, where he sat at his desk. He looked up at us and he looked right at Denise,

"What at you doing here? This isn't your house! Get out!" He yelled and jake looked at her and she walked away.

"Are you okay, Jakey? What's going on?" His dad asked and his eyes softened.

"I'm fine. What's going on with you, huh?" Jake asked softly as he walked to him and he hugged him tightly before sitting down at his desk.

"Nothing. These people think they can just come in my house-"

"They're not random people, dad. That was your wife. My mom. Luke was here earlier, your son. They're not random people." He said.

"Oh. I didn't know." His dad said and jake sighed and nodded.

"I'll always remember you." His dad said and smiled weakly at him. It broke my heart, but made me so happy at the same time.

"I flew back home today-I was in Seattle for a case. We ended up not taking it... It's okay." He said and his dad's eyes softened.

"You flew home because of me?" His dad asked.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." He said and his dad nodded.

"I'm okay." He said and he smiled weakly.

"You gotta stop yelling at mom. She loves you." Jake said and he nodded.

"Okay. I'm sorry." He said and he nodded.

"Do you remember Blaire?" He asked and he wrapped his arms around my shoulder and pulled me into him.

"Isn't she your wife?" He asked and jake chuckled and shook his head.

"Just my girlfriend." He said and I nodded.

"Ohh. I'm sorry-you're beautiful. Jakey is lucky to have you." His dad said and jake smiled at me.

"Thank you, Mr Sanders." I said.

"No problem sweetheart-now I have to get back to working on some cases. It was nice seeing you both." He said and Jakes smile faded, but he just nodded and went with it.

"Love you, dad. I'll be by later this week." He said.

"Bye, Jakey. Love you too." He said and jake grabbed my hand and walked out the room with me to his mom downstairs.

"He didn't yell at me." Jake said and his moms eyes softened.

"You're his pride and joy. He'd never forget you." She said.