Chapter 17

I left Jakes that night at 3am. We didn't even do anything. We didn't even talk to each other. I was just watching TV in his living room and he was sleeping on the couch across from me. I had to go to work at 6am though and running on three hours of sleep was not fun.

I walked into the office and went straight to the break room. I needed a Red Bull. Coffee wasn't going to work to wake me up.

I grabbed a coffee cup to pour some for him and I felt a hand get placed on the small of my back. I froze and he looked down at me.

"I got it. I can get it myself." Jake said.

"You scared me." I said and he smiled weakly and removed his hand. He took the coffee pot from me and poured it into his cup before adding two sugars and three splashes of creamer.

"You barely slept. You should have come in later." He said.

"I'm okay." I said.

"I fell asleep before you and I'm barely okay." He said.

"Are you high?" I asked.

"Not yet." He said.

"When were you planning on doing it?" I asked.

"I don't know. Before everyone gets here." He said.

"I thought you weren't doing it today." I said.

"You told me not to do that." He said and I ran my fingers through my hair.

"I know-I don't know. I don't know what to do I really don't." I said.

"Can I see you do it?" I asked.

"What?" He asked.

"I want to see you do it." I said.

"No." He warned.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because that fucked up a lot of people and relationships I've been in-no. Why would you want to anyway?" He asked.

"I find it interesting. You really don't look like the type to do that at all." I said.

"Which is why I get away with it." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"Okay." I said.

"I love you." He said and I ignored him. Completely. I partially felt bad, partially didn't care at all.

"I'll be in my office." I said.

"Yeah. Me too." He said and we both walked out the rom and went to our offices without saying a word. We were still the only ones in the office. I quickly logged in to my computer. I knew there would have been tons of emails. I was behind so bad.

All the emails I had gotten were normal emails of people who had inquiries to use Jake as a lawyer for them. There were thousands. It was a 3/200 chance Jake would take a case. He had specifics and wants that made him and his clients money along with making them happy.

Until I found one email. It was a threat to me. Me only. Not Jake, or anyone else. It was sent directly to me and as I read it over and over the worst I felt. It made me sick to my stomach.

The person who wrote it explained how I'd die, when I'd die, when they were going to kill me, and that they've been following me. They told me they were following me to my home. I froze as I looked at it for five minutes just over and over. Then, I quickly got up and I ran to Jakes office. Of course, I walked into him doing a line off his desk.

"Jesus Christ, Blaire!" He yelled and I shook my head.

"I know-I'm sorry-you don't get it. I'm-um-"