Chapter 40

The next morning Jake cooked me breakfast and had everything ready for me and still warm when I woke up. He gave it to me in bed and he was so cute about it. He told me how much he loved me and how our baby needs to eat good with me. It melted my heart.

We laid in bed all day, and then he made me get a shower after he did to go out. He said he wanted to take me on a date and it was so cute. I was praying the way he was being lasted long. Forever hopefully.

When I was done getting ready he already had a car ready for us to go, he went out before I did and waited in the car for me. When I went out he met me with flowers outside the car and he opened the door for me.

"Thank you mr Sanders. These smell amazing." I said and he smiled weakly and nodded as I smelt the roses he got me. He got in after me and I rested my head on his chest and he put his arm around me.

"Are you tired?" He asked.

"No, I just love you so much." I said and he kissed my forehead.

"I love you more." He said and I looked up at him and kissed his cheek.

"What kind of champagne are we drinking?" I asked.

"I'm not drinking anymore. It makes me want to go back to what I was doing so I'm not. You can though." He said.

"Oh." I said and he nodded and kissed me softly.

"It makes me feel better not drinking." He said and I smiled weakly.

"I'm so proud of you." I said and he smiled weakly back.

"Thank you." He said and I kissed him again. He kissed me for a little while in the backseat of the car, before we got out to go eat. I was excited to go on a proper date with him. It was needed.

* * *

I started to notice why Jake was constantly moving at home. When we sat down to eat, he was fidgeting and couldn't stay still. We would have a conversation and be fine, but when we'd stop talking for a little, he'd rub his scruff or tap his fingers on the table while looking around. He seemed so paranoid. He was just trying to stay calm and I felt bad. His anxiety was horrible and I didn't realize how bad it was while he wasn't sober.

"You okay?" I asked and he looked up at me as he took a sip from his drink.

"Yeah. Why?" He asked.

"You seem nervous." I said and he nodded slowly.

"I am." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"We're just around a lot of people. I feel like they know who we are-you know? They know me and they know what I've been going through lately. The media plastered everything about me. How I overdosed-I lost a few cases." He said and I reached my hand across the table and I put mine over his.

"You cannot let this set you back. We will be okay and get through this. We'll figure out work. You can go back next week-I've been back. Since you left I've been going to the office everyday and checking up on things. I know how everyone is doing and exactly what has been going on. The good news is, we haven't lost our major cases and none of our clients care about what happened because they still know you're the best. The bad news is, our employees aren't too happy so you need to go back as soon as possible and talk to everyone individually. Greg, Jen, and Mark are all really more bothered by it than anyone and feel like they've been lied to. I didn't tell anyone I knew. I acted like I didn't know at all. I reassured them that you'd be okay though." I said and his eyes softened.

"Our workers are mad at me?" He asked softly and I rubbed his hand.

"No-The first day I went back after everything happened I saw Jen and she immediately pulled me to the side. I talked to her like I found out the same time she did and she asked me what was happening and I talked to her like I didn't know. I did reassure her that you would come out of this stronger and healthier and ready to continue." I said and he nodded slowly.