Chapter 27

Jake and I went back to work and it was a week of overwhelming amounts of paperwork and emails to get back to on new cases that we brought in after closing out others. It was bitter sweet going back, and I had to schedule me and jake a business trip to Colorado for a huge meeting with a bunch of lawyers for a case. Top lawyers around the country were trying to fight to get the case and jake was determined to get it. I was proud of him too. He was two weeks and two days sober and he was doing amazing.

He was in his office while I was doing some work in mine, and I buzzed him in. He was usually the one buzzing me in but since we were together I did what I wanted when I had a question.

"Yeah?" He asked as he walked in.

"Can I have a kiss?" I asked and he stood in the doorway and gave me a "seriously?" Look before walking to me and kissing me. I smiled against his lips and he kissed me again.

"Are you still annoyed I called you in here for that?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, I needed that." He said and I smiled weakly and he kissed me again.

"You definitely needed it because you keep going for more." I chuckled and he smiled weakly.

"You don't need anything?" He asked.

"I need a billion dollars and to retire and live on a deserted island with nothing but me and you." I said and he laughed and threw his head back.

"I have the billion dollars, baby. Let me figure out the rest." He said and I smiled at him.

"I just want to go away. I'm serious I really do. Away from everyone and everything and not argue. I just want us happy." I said.

"I know-we can plan something soon. I need to get back on track here though-I just feel like everything is falling apart." He said.

"We'll get back on track." I said and he nodded.

"I know." He said. I wasn't just talking about the office. I was talking about our relationship too, but I think he knew. He definitely knew.

"Everyone's been treating me weird since we got back. They've been asking how I'm doing and everything-I appreciate it-but I don't want pity over my dad. It just sucks." He said.

"They just want to make sure you're okay." I said,

"I know." He sighed and I grabbed his hand.

"I want to go home." I said and he nodded.

"I don't feel ready to be back here yet. As much as I want to get things back in order here-I don't think I can. I've been staring at emails all day sitting at my desk. I can't concentrate on a damn thing. Blaire I really just don't think I can." He said.

"Take more time off. I'll take care of things." I said.

"I want you to take time with me. I can't do it alone. I'll relapse if you leave me alone." He said and I sighed.

"Jake were already so behind. How much longer do you want off?" I asked.

"A month." He said.

"Jake-"

"I'll let other people work on things so we're not far behind. I promise. I'll leave it with responsible people that are good at their work and I'll make sure we're okay." He said.

"So we leave today and then what?" I asked.

"I'll have a meeting and we can leave. They have to understand." He said.

"What about the meeting in Colorado?" I asked.

"We'll still go to that. I don't mind doing outside of office work. I just can't be in here. I can't." He said.