Chapter 30

The night we got engaged, we went back to the hotel room at 6am after watching the sunrise together and we slept until 4pm. We woke up and had the best sex we ever had, and we got ready to go back home. I wasn't looking forward to it at all. The trip was decent, but our last day was amazing. I wanted to relive it over and over.

"Can I admit something to you?" He asked and I looked over at him as we were on the plane back.

"What?" I asked.

"There was never a case out here. There was never going to be a deal. I had people come out here and pretend they wanted to work on a case with us and I had them turn us down purposely. There was never a case and I was never mad about it. I just acted like I was bothered by it so you weren't suspicious. This trip was so I could propose to you. I'm sorry I treated you the way I did in the beginning. I don't have any excuses for it. I knew this trip should have been special and I feel like I ruined it honestly. I just know this short trip made me feel a lot better. I told you how I felt and now you're going to be my wife. It makes me feel so much better that I talked to you though." He said.

"You pretended that there was a case?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah. I needed to get you out here somehow." He said and I chuckled weakly.

"Jake-I would literally go anywhere with you. Even Australia, with the big spiders." I said and he laughed and I chuckled.

"Well you planned pretty good. I had no clue." I said and he smiled.

"I can't wait to be your husband." He said softly against my neck and I kissed him and grabbed my phone.

"I want to tell Hailey. We can invite my mom and dad and your mom and dad and tell them all about it." I said and he smiled weakly and looked down at his hands. I realized what I said after and I felt horrible. I stopped talking and he did too.

"Jake... I'm sorry." I sighed.

"It's okay." He said and I put my hand over his.

"No-I'm sorry." I repeated and he looked up at me and he kissed me.

"We can tell him. We can visit his grave and tell him all about it." He said softly and my eyes softened. It was so sweet and I felt so bad for saying what I did-but he made it into a more happier thing and made me feel better about what I said.

"I think that's a great idea." I said and he kissed me again. He went to sit up to cup my cheek and his security stopped us.

"Ms. Angeles-someone contacted us and said someone by the name of Hailey Burrows is in the hospital. Do you know who that is?" His security said and I narrowed my eyes.

"Hailey is in the hospital? For what?" I asked.

"A head injury. She was involved in a car accident." They said and my eyes softened.

"Is she okay?" I asked and sat up.

"There wasn't much information given to us other than that. A girl named Rachel seemed distraught on the phone." He said and I looked over at Jake.

"Jake." I said softly and he put his hand on my thigh,

"I'm sure she's okay. Don't worry. We'll be landing soon and as soon as we land we can get a ride to the hospital and figure it out." He said.

"What if she's hurt really bad? I don't have any service on my phone and the WiFi isn't working. I can't get ahold of Rachel." I said softly as I tried unlocking my phone multiple times and he stopped me.

"We have thirty more minutes on this flight. Breathe. I will make sure you get straight to the hospital as soon as we land. Okay?" He asked and I had tears in my eyes.