7

I leaned against the counter watching the front door for any potential customers as I reflected on the school day. Cass and Elena lapped up every detail I told them about my time with Beckett during lunch. Elena was quickly becoming a close friend as she started to open up more and lose her timid nature around us. She was already teasing Cass about her obsession with my non-existent relationship with Beckett.

I'm not going to lie, when Beckett said hi to me in class it made me smile involuntarily. I found myself observing him during class. I noticed that he liked to chew on the end of his pen when he was thinking, and although he pretends to not care by slouching in his chair, he sits properly when he's focused on a task.

Mr. Simons entered the shop and I stood up straight as I greeted him.

"Hello, Skylar. How are you today?" he asked as he picked up a basket from beside the door.

"I'm doing well. How 'bout you? Anything interesting happening at the museum?"

"Well, there's always something interesting happening when you work in research. But, of note, I'm working on another chapter in my book," he explained as he picked through the pile of apples in front of him.

"Oh, yeah. How's that going? What's this chapter about?"

"You know, it's actually quite interesting. I'm interviewing this family in Ireland whose relative had moved to the United States in 1919 and had a child that ended up serving in World War II. I recovered some letters that they had written home with a return address of right here in Old Ashton. Well, anyways, I won't give too much away, you'll have to wait for the book. It's turning out to be a real page turner."

"Well, I'll keep a look out for it at the bookstore," I smiled.

Mr. Masood entered the store from the back and greeted Mr. Simons, who was now pulling a carton of milk from the refrigerated section.

"Oh, hello, Zabir. How's the wife?"

"Doing excellent, thank you for asking. And yourself?" Mr. Masood replied.

"I'm doing just fantastic. Um, do you know when you'll be getting more cabbage?" he asked as he approached the counter to pay.

"Next Tuesday. Randall, the local grower comes on Tuesdays."

"Oh, alright. Thank you," he said pushing his glasses up his nose as he set his basket on the counter in front of me.

I punched in the codes for everything that he was purchasing and asked if he would like a paper bag or to purchase a reusable one.

"Paper, please. I just forgot my reusable ones today," he decided.

"Okay, that'll be eleven dollars, please," I said as Mr. Masood stepped beside me to bag his groceries up.

Mr. Simons handed me exact change and I placed it into the cash drawer.

"Thank you, see you soon," I smiled as he thanked us on his way out.

I sighed and checked the clock on the wall. I clocked in at around two, and it was already a quarter to six.

"Do you need me to stay later, Mr. Masood?" I asked as he adjusted some cans of soup on a nearby shelf.

"Oh...I think you can head on home, Skylar. Make sure you clock out. You'll be here same time on Thursday, correct?"

"Yes, as soon as I get out of school at 1:30. Will Mrs. Masood be here or will you?" I asked as I counted the money in the cash drawer so that I could leave.

"I think we will both be here. I'm not going into the city on Thursday. The supplier had to reschedule my pickup date," he explained as he continued tidying the shelves.