12

The week was a blur of texts with Beckett, homework, and caring for Waylin. When Saturday arrived I was more than ready to spend time with Beckett. He had a water polo game in the morning and I was meant to meet him at his place that afternoon to practice our proposal presentation for our senior project. I left Waylin some lunch on the stove and told him I would be back in a few hours.

The whole bus ride which was probably only 15 minutes felt like an hour. I couldn't wait to see Beckett. When I knocked on the door he answered almost immediately.

"Hey, Sky," he smiled, his green eyes scrunching at the corners, "come in."

"How was the game?" I asked as I slipped my shoes off.

"It was good! We won by two points, 10 to 8," he said proudly as he set his gym bag on the floor, "I actually just got in and haven't showered. You mind if I just rinse off quickly?"

"No problem," I shrugged, "I'll just wait in the...den?"

"Yeah, feel free to watch TV or whatever. I'll be down in a sec," he smiled before turning to race up the stairs.

I settled onto the large L-shaped couch in the den and stared at the remotes on the coffee table.

Why are there so many?

I decided to just pull out my presentation notes and read through them while I waited. And it wasn't long before he entered the room, in a pair of joggers and a t-shirt. He placed his laptop on the coffee table before taking a seat next to me.

His hair was still damp, making his curls fall into his face. He smelled amazing. Not that I expected otherwise, but the scent from his recent shower was almost overpowering.

"So, I can pull up the presentation on the TV and we can start rehearsing, yeah?" he asked looking over at me.

"Um," I honestly didn't hear anything he said, I was too busy staring at how green his eyes looked in the shirt he was wearing.

"What?" he asked, smirking.

"Nothing, sorry, what'd you say?" I asked, wiping my sweaty palms on my jeans as discreetly as I could.

His stare was intense when I met his gaze and he slowly moved his face closer to mine. His hand reached towards my face, his fingertips sending chills across my body as he brushed my hair out of my face tucking it behind my ear. Our faces were inches apart and suddenly his lips were connected to mine.

I had no idea what to do. I'd never kissed anyone before. My heart was pumping in my chest with exhilaration and nerves. Just as quickly as it happened it was over.

When he pulled away, my lips were tingling from the sensation of our kiss. I prayed to the universe or if there was a god out there that I hadn't done it wrong.

He smiled, biting his lower lip. All I wanted to do was reconnect our lips. I wanted to feel the warmth that his touch spread through my body.

"We should probably get to work," he said softly, creating space between us.

"Right," I nodded, hoping that my disappointment was not obvious.

We ran through the presentation a few times before stopping.

"I think we're good, yeah?" he said looking over at me while he disconnected his laptop from the TV.

"Huh?" I racked my brain to replay what he just said, "oh yeah."

I could not stop thinking about kissing him. I couldn't believe that I had just had my first kiss and he didn't even say I was bad at it. I felt hot from the adrenaline coursing through my body but I couldn't exactly roll up my sleeves.

Was I overreacting? How was he acting so normal, like we hadn't just had the most amazing kiss?

Granted, I had nothing else to compare it to, but I thought it was pretty good.

"Are you busy tomorrow night?" he asked suddenly, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Um, no," I asked hesitantly, zipping up my backpack.

"Can I take you on a date?" he asked, almost hopeful sounding.

"Yeah," I smiled, internally screaming with excitement.

"Good," he smiled back, running his hand through his hair to push it out of his face, "I'll pick you up at six. Make sure you're hungry."

"Okay," I chuckled, biting my lip to hide my giddy smile.