33

It didn't feel real sitting in the courtroom. As I watched the judge grant my mom bail at $1000 I felt a sense of fear tighten my chest. Of course, I didn't want her to go to jail because then Waylin and I would be screwed. But, I also didn't want her to come home. I knew that it was only going to be worse for us. For me.

When it was over I briefly spoke to her to tell her that I was going to get her out before they took her away. That was when Mrs. Hill approached me with another woman.

"Skylar, this is Becky," Mrs. Hill smiled as she introduced the short woman next to her, "she is going to be handling your case with social services."

My heart immediately started to pound.

Social services?

"Hi, Skylar," she smiled widely, "it's nice to meet you. I'm sorry to hear about your mom."

"Thanks," I nodded, faking a smile.

"I'm going to need to speak with you and your brother about your mom. Is he here with you?"

"No," I said, glancing at Mrs. Hill, "he's at the Hill's house."

"Where would be best to meet?" Becky asked Mrs. Hill.

"Why don't you come on over to the house," she suggested.

"Great, just send me the address," she said, pulling out a business card and handing it to Mrs. Hill.

"Wait, I need to post bail for my mom," I interrupted.

"Honey, your mom and her lawyer will sort that out," Becky dismissed.

Her pitiful expression made me want to rip my hair out.

"Skylar, it'll be fine. She's got a good public aid, I know him well," Mrs. Hill comforted as she guided me through the doors with a hand on my back.

I had already planned out what I was going to tell Waylin before the social worker talked to him, but when we got there Becky was already inside waiting.

For fuck's sake.

"Waylin," I called out to grab his attention as he sat on the sofa across from the social worker.

"Sky!" He exclaimed, jumping up and running to me.

I winced as he crushed my arm in a hug.

"What's going on?" He asked, confused.

"Way, listen to me," I said slowly as I kneeled down in front of him, "listen very carefully."

I waited for him to nod in agreement before continuing in German.

"Don't tell them anything about mommy," I instructed in a hushed tone, "if you tell them anything she won't be able to come home."

"What? Why not?" He asked me in German.

"Because mommy is in trouble. And we don't want to get her into any more trouble right?"

"Mhm," he nodded.

"Good boy, I'll see you when you're done," I finished as I kissed him on the head and stood up.

I could see that Beckett was staring at me from the hall, but I ignored him and passed into the kitchen to wait for my turn.

When he was finished, he came into the kitchen to tell me it was time. I could tell that something was off because he wasn't his usual happy self. I clenched my fist, worried about what she had told him.

"Hi, Skylar, so I just need you to answer a few questions for me and then we can determine whether or not staying at home with your mom is the best option," Becky said with a hint of pity.

"What do you mean "the best option"? Of course, it is. We need to stay together," I argued.

"I agree, but only if it's safe for you both to do so," she said calmly.

"Now, first question," she began, "were you aware of your mother's drug abuse?"

"No," I lied.

"Has she ever utilized drugs in your presence or brought any illegal drugs into the home?"

"No," I repeated.

"Do you feel safe at home?" She asked as she jotted notes down.

"Yes."

"Okay," she sighed, "I'll have to do a home visit in a few days. But I don't see any reason right now to separate you."

I let out a breath of relief.

That was easy.

"Here's my card, please give me a call if you need anything," she smiled.

I nodded and left to go find Waylin.

I ran into Beckett's chest as I turned the corner from the stair landing.

"Ow," I winced as my arm throbbed.

"Sorry," he said, gripping my good arm to stabilize me.

"So, what's the verdict?" He asked, not moving aside to let me pass.

"What do you mean?" I questioned, squinting my eyes.

"Are you going back?"

"Yeah, I'm just going to pack our bag," I said avoiding his green eyes.

"How can they do that?" He asked with anger.

"Jesus, calm down," I muttered bitterly.

He shook his head and sighed before letting me pass.

I'm not some dumb damsel in distress. I don't need him to "save me".