40

Something heavy covered my body and I bolted upright with a yelp.

I took in my surroundings, breathing heavily at the startling.

"Sorry, it's just me. I was just putting a blanket over you," Beckett said sheepishly.

I rubbed my eyes and took a moment to wake up. My neck was stiff from my damp hair.

"Where's Waylin?" I asked through a yawn.

"He's just next door sleeping. Don't worry, we made sure he brushed his teeth," Beckett smiled.

I nodded, rubbing the kink in my neck.

"Ohmygod! Skylar!" Beckett exclaimed, pulling my hand away from my neck.

"What the hell happened to you?"

I quickly pulled my hair to cover myself dismissing his question.

He wasn't giving up, because he pulled my hair aside and gawked.

"Who did that?" He asked darkly.

"No one," I said defensively, climbing off the bed to put some space between us.

"Was it that guy who came to the apartment the other night?" He asked with confidence.

"No," I stated firmly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Skylar, if you don't tell me who did that to you, I'm going to call the police," he said breathing heavily, "I mean it."

My chin started to quiver so I bit my lip, hard.

Fuck! I need to cut. I need to cut. I need to cut. I need to cut.

My leg was bouncy with anxiety and the thought of cutting was making my pulse jump.

"Skylar, you have ten seconds," he said as he walked back out the door.

I followed him with my eyes as he counted and continued to walk backward until he reached his bedroom.

"Stop," I whisper shouted as I followed him into his room where he was now picking up his cellphone.

"Four, three, two," he continued.

"I don't know!" I cried out before he got to one.

"That's not an answer, Skylar," he sighed, unlocking his phone.

"I'm serious, I don't know his name. Okay?" I mumbled.

He squinted his eyes at me and closed his bedroom door with his free hand.

"Sit," he commanded.

I rolled my eyes and audibly groaned, digging my nails into my forearm.

He was waiting for me on the bed, expectantly. Like a child, I stomped my way over and sat down.

I could see the corners of his mouth twitching, as he tried not to laugh at my ridiculous behavior.

"Did this happen today?" He asked me at last, returning to a serious tone.

I shook my head and stared down at my lap where I was secretly clawing away at my scabs beneath the sleeves.

"Yesterday?" He asked.

I shook my head again, digging my nails deeper as I felt the urge to cry.

"Skylar, look at me," he said softly.

When I didn't, he placed his hands over my own that were inside the sleeves. I reluctantly released the pressure against my forearms and withdrew my hands.