11

I didn't want to leave the warmth of Beckett's family, but I knew that Waylin needed to be getting ready for bed soon. I had him drop me a block away because I was embarrassed by the contrast in our living conditions. After entering the apartment I immediately felt deflated as I saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table with EJ.

I scanned the room for Waylin and walked towards our bedroom.

"Don't be rude to our guest, Skylar," my mom droned as I slipped past them.

I let out a breath before turning and waving hello.

"Wait a minute," she called out as I continued down the hall, "come here."

I gritted my teeth, following her orders.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I need some cash," she said, taking a sip of beer.

"Why?" I asked skeptically.

"I'm a little short," she said, giving me beady eyes.

"How much?" I sighed, unwilling to argue.

"40," EJ said.

"Jesus," I muttered under my breath with annoyance.

I left the room to grab some money from my stash in my closet.

"Hey, Way," I greeted as I entered our bedroom, "did you eat?"

"Yeah, mom made macaroni," he said peering down at me from his bunk.

I shuffled through my sock drawer and pulled out the cash she requested.

"Ten more minutes of reading and then it's time to get ready for bed," I said before leaving the room.

"Here," I said, holding the money out to him.

"Thanks," he said, winking at me, "I'll see ya around."

I locked the door behind him and stormed off to my room, ignoring my vacant mother.

I didn't text my friends before going to sleep and settled on saving my energy for when I would see them at school.

Of course, I wasn't prepared for the number of questions the girls asked me at lunch.

"So when are you seeing him again?" Cass asked.

"Um, Saturday. We're going to rehearse our presentation for the hospital. It's not like a date or anything," I shrugged.

"Well, you're still hanging out with him," Elena suggested.

"Are you guys like dating now, or how did he end it last night? Wait! Oh my god," she said, drawing out each word, "Did you kiss?"

"No," I said rolling my eyes, "we didn't kiss. Not that he'd want to kiss me."

"Skylar Jane," Cass scolded, "There is no way in hell he didn't want to kiss you. You're hot and he's totally in to you."

"Whatever, can we please change the topic?" I pleaded.

"Fine, what are we doing for Halloween?" Cass asked.

I looked at Elena who shrugged.

"Come on, you guys, we would make the hottest Charlie's Angels," she persuaded.

"Why would we dress up? We never go to any parties," I reminded her.

"Okay, maybe we haven't yet. But this is our chance. Randy's throwing his party as usual, plus I'm sure Beckett will be there," she said trying to entice me.

"Look, can't we just do our usual night in with scary movies?" I asked, "Besides, I can't leave Waylin alone, it's his birthday. I've got to take him to get candy and stuff."

"Perfect. We can dress up as Charlie's Angels and take Waylin trick-or-treating. Then go to Randy's house."

"Cass, I'm serious. My mom will be working that night, so I can't leave Waylin home alone," I explained.

"Honestly," Elena said, "I'm not really into the whole party scene. If you really want to dress up, let's do it. But after we take Waylin around we can all come back to my place and watch scary movies."

We watched as Cassidy mulled it over between bites.

"Fine," she groaned.

I didn't want her to change her mind so I said my goodbyes and headed out for work. As I was passing the main office downstairs, I noticed a flyer posted for after school programs. I turned back and stepped inside the office.

"Hi, how can I help you?" the secretary asked.

"I saw a flyer on the notice board about after school programs. Are they still open for sign-ups?" I asked.

"Oh, um, actually those are for the elementary students, I would ask upstairs about the high school programs," she smiled.

"Sorry, no, it's for my little brother, he's in fifth grade," I explained.

"Oh! Well, in that case, yes, we are still allowing student sign-up. Which programs was he interested in?"

"Um, is there like a list?" I asked.

"Sure thing," she paused to pull out a piece of paper and handed it to me, "Just fill out his information below, tick the boxes next to the classes he's interested in, and have your parents sign the form."

"Okay, thanks," I nodded before leaving.

I scanned the list of after-school programs as I sat and waited for the bus to take me to work. It looks like there is one every day that I could sign him up for. That would definitely put my mind at ease when I worked late. He wouldn't have to be home alone, or home with my mom and potentially her dealer. I grabbed a pen from my bag and filled the form out, forging my mom's signature.

I was startled by my phone vibrating against my chest and retrieved it from my blazer pocket.

It was a text from Beckett asking about my day. The inevitable smile spread across my face as I replied. It was exciting and nerve-wracking all at once, the advice from Cass and Elena about waiting twenty minutes to reply bouncing around in my brain as I pressed send. I didn't see the point in playing games, but as the male species experts according to their mass of Cosmo magazines I couldn't help but worry that I was indeed coming across too desperate.

It didn't seem to phase him since he responded immediately. We continued to text until I clocked in for work and focused my attention on stocking the shelves and daydreaming about a life where he and I were actually dating.