23

"Don't say anything," I begged as I closed the car door and climbed into the front seat.

Cass opened her mouth before shutting her lips and pretending to lock them and throw away the key.

"Just be grateful my dad let me borrow his car. You look like shit by the way," she commented as she pulled out his Beckett's driveway.

"Thanks, always honest aren't you," I chuckled half-heartedly.

"So, are you coming to school today?" she asked as we drove to my apartment.

"Um, no, I don't think so," I said flatly.

She sighed in frustration and I caught her gaze.

"I wish you would just tell me what's going on. I'm your best friend, remember? Not that fuck, Beckett," she complained.

"I'm really sorry. It's honestly not that big of a deal. My mom just got sick. But she's going to be fine," I said, smiling.

"That still doesn't explain why you stayed at that asshole's house," she complained.

"I'm sorry, you know I would've much rather stayed with you. It was the damn doctors. His dad was there and offered for us to stay, I was forced into it," I lied, trying to make her feel better.

She blew out a breath of air before shrugging and changing the subject.

"Well, in case you were wondering, the whole school heard about your alleged psychotic break in class yesterday and how Beckett ran after you," I groaned and let my head slump against my chest, "But don't worry, that quickly died down once I let slip that Randy was having a party at the end of the month when his parents went out of town."

"Thanks, they probably are calling me a slut again" I complained.

"Well, I mean it's honestly not as bad as other things they've said," she said trying to make me feel better.

"Gee, thanks," I mumbled.

When we pulled up to my apartment building she gave me an awkward sideways hug goodbye from inside the car and told me to call her if I needed anything. I waited for her to pull away before entering the building.

I took a deep breath before opening the front door to the apartment. I didn't want to have to clean up the mess inside, but I needed it to be clean before Waylin came home.

It didn't take me long to get the apartment looking normal again. I had just put my mom's sheets in the washer downstairs when I stopped in my tracks.

"What the fuck do you want?" I asked harshly, scouring at EJ's presence in the hallway.

"I just came back for my hat," he shrugged.

"Right," I spat, "you must have forgotten about it after watching my mom OD."

"Hey, I called 911. You should be thanking me," he scoffed, shoving his hands in his sagging pant pockets.

"Yeah, thanks for supplying my mother with the drugs that made her OD," I said sarcastically.

I rolled my eyes trying to avoid the sick feeling in my stomach.

"So, can I get my hat, or nah?" he asked, licking his lips.

"Wait here," I said firmly as I went inside to retrieve it, sidestepping his body to avoid him touching me.

I threw it at him and closed the door in his face, quickly locking it.

I watched through the peephole to make sure that he had gone before heading into my mom's room.

I can't believe that fucking dickhead piece of shit screwed me.