39

I followed him to the back of the church where we exited to a small parking lot. I quickly buckled my seatbelt and waited for him to start the car and follow suit.

"What's the rush?" He chuckled.

I shook my leg in frustration as he didn't seem to be moving very quickly.

"I need to catch him before he takes the bus home," I said shortly.

"Okay, okay, I'm going," he said, starting the car.

The ride to school was silent which I was grateful for. As soon as the car stopped I hopped out and ran inside. I made it to the cafeteria where they were just finishing up their snack.

I caught my breath in the corner of the room and waited for them to finish and clean up. I waved him over and he came running to my side.

"Sky!"

I gave him a tight embrace before finally letting go.

"I'm here to sign you out," I smiled, "you don't need to take the bus home."

"Okay," he smiled, holding my hand as we exited the school.

I groaned at Beckett still outside waiting and leaning against his car.

"Waylin! How's it going, buddy?" Beckett called putting out his fist.

"Hi, Beck!" He greeted separating our hands and running to give him a fist bump.

"Hop in, I'll give you guys a ride," Beckett said, opening the backseat for Waylin who excitedly climbed in.

Beckett shut the door and moved to open the passenger door for me.

"Wait," I said, stopping him.

He gave me an expected look of annoyance as I continued.

"Come here for a second," I beckoned.

He quizzically approached my side while I gave myself a mini pep talk.

Skylar, swallow your pride. You are only doing this for Waylin. Do it for Waylin!

"What's up?" He asked, shoving his hands in his jean pockets.

I let out a breath before speaking.

"Would it be okay with your parents if Waylin stayed the night at your house?" I unwillingly asked, forcing a smiling to hopefully persuade him.

"Yeah, you guys are always welcome," he said, turning to walk back to the car.

"No, I, I said just Waylin."

"Why?" He asked, taken aback, "why can't he be at home with you?"

I clenched my fists and took another deep breath.

"You're right, never mind. We will both stay," I said smiling brightly.

I watched as Beckett shrugged, shaking his head.

"You don't have to pretend in front of me," he stated flatly before climbing into the car.

"Buckle up, kiddo!" Beckett called to Waylin in the backseat.

"Way, I hope you don't mind, but we're going to have a sleepover at Beckett's house," I explained in German so that Beckett couldn't try to budge in and ask why.

"Really? How come?"

I racked my brain for an excuse before continuing.

"They're spraying for bugs and we can't be inside the building for the night."

You're such a terrible liar.

"What about mom?" He asked worriedly.

"She's fine. She'll be at work."

"Oh," he sat in thought for a moment, "okay. Does this mean I can play," he stopped mid-sentence and switched to English, "I mean, Beckett can we play Halo again?"

"Sure, buddy. I've got to work on some homework, but you're welcome to play alone," Beckett smiled looking in the rearview mirror at Waylin's beaming expression.

I wiped my sweating palms on my skirt and tried to calm my nerves.

At dinner, I shared the lie that I told Waylin about our apartment getting sprayed when his mom asked what was going on.

It was a shallow lie, but no one questioned me. I focused as long as I could on doing some homework before asking Mrs. Hill if we could borrow something to sleep in.

"Of course," she smiled looking up briefly from her laptop where she was sitting in the kitchen, "just find what you want from Katy's room. And..." she paused as she finished typing, "there's some spare toothbrushes in the bathroom upstairs."

I thanked her before heading upstairs to shower.

It wasn't until I was drying off that I remembered the bruises on my neck. They were clearly visible without the makeup covering them up. I placed my wet hair strategically on my neck to cover them up as I crossed the hall into Katy's room.

I felt bad sifting through her drawers for clothes, so I quickly picked out the first things I saw: sweats, a T-shirt and some underwear.

I soon regretted the shirt as it left my arms exposed. I grabbed a hoodie from her closet and sat down on the bed. I wasn't ready to go back downstairs and force a smile. I curled into the fetal position and let a few silent tears escape.

I was just so tired and scared about what was going to happen next.

And part of me was worried about how my mom was doing, if she was okay, or if she was getting high.

I felt like I had no control over my life anymore. Like it wasn't mine, and somebody was pulling the strings laughing at the mess they were making.