22

I made Waylin stay in the car because I didn't want him to see anything traumatizing inside the house. I had no idea what condition it would be in. I grabbed my house keys from my backpack and opened the front door. I ignored the mess in the living room of beer bottles that weren't there this morning and headed to our bedroom to pack a bag of clothes.

I grabbed a duffle from our closet and filled it with clothes for two days for each of us. I headed to the bathroom and grabbed our toothbrushes, a hairbrush, and Waylin's gel.

I zipped the bag and stopped in the doorway of my mom's room. The sheets were on the floor along with a couple of condom wrappers.

I shook my head in disgust and was about to exit when something on the floor caught my eye. I walked inside and dropped the duffle, bending down to pick up the black snapback hat off of the floor.

It was plain, except for the letters EJ written in marker on the inside of the brim.

I screamed and threw the hat across the room. It didn't go very far because of my bad aim and I laughed, dropping to the floor at how ridiculous this situation was. My laughter turned to crying and I screamed when someone touched my shoulder.

It was Beckett.

"Fuck, you scared the shit out of me. What are you doing in here?" I asked, angry that he was witnessing the embarrassing insides of my home.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. You were gone for a while, so I came to make sure you were okay," he said looking around the room.

I stood up and grabbed the duffle bag.

"I'm fine. Let's go," I said pushing past him towards the front door.

...

We climbed the steps to his front door and the memories of the last time I was here cut me deep. I tried to ignore them as Beckett showed Waylin and me upstairs to where we would be staying.

"This is your room," Beckett said, opening the door.

"I get this room to myself?" Waylin asked in shock.

"Yeah, it's all yours. King size bed and all," Beckett smiled.

"Awesome!" Waylin exclaimed, shedding his backpack and jumping onto the bed.

I smiled at his innocence and Beckett motioned me to continue down the hall.

"You can stay in Katy's room," he said pushing the door open and leaning against the doorframe as I dropped my bags onto the floor.

There was a king-sized bed in the middle of the room and a large dresser opposite it with a TV mounted on the wall above it. The windows looked out to the backyard. I sighed and took a seat on the edge of the bed.

"Bathroom is just across the hall in case you forgot, next to my room. We'll have to share. I hope you don't mind," he said watching me with his arms crossed against his chest.

"Okay, thanks."

I looked at the posters on the walls and photos that were taped to the floor-length mirror across from the bed. She seemed so happy and carefree.

"Dinner is usually around 7, but if you're hungry, there's food downstairs, or I can order something. Or whatever."

"Oh, okay."

I did a mental check on my body's hunger and realized that I was more tired than anything.

"Um, I'm not hungry but Waylin might be. We haven't had food since breakfast and it's already three," I said noticing the time on her bedside clock.