37

I woke up startled with fuzzy remnants of what happened last night bouncy around my brain. I smiled at sleeping Waylin next to me and carefully crawled out of his bunk.

I grabbed my phone, which was still plugged into the wall where I had left it earlier today, and checked the time.

5:45 am.

My alarm was going to go off at any moment so I turned it off and went into the bathroom to check on the marks on my neck.

They were even darker than last night, the outline of his fingers visible around my neck.

I scoured the drawer for some of my mom's concealer to try to hide the marks. It was spring, so wearing a scarf to school would be weird.

I lathered the makeup on and blended it in as best as I could. I combed through my knotted hair and tried to use it to cover my neck as well. I sighed at the sight of me before exiting the bathroom to continue getting ready for school.

Cassidy plopped down in the empty seat next to me as the bus continued to move, giving me a hug.

"Good morning," she said as she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"Morning," I sighed.

"How are you babes?" she asked sadly.

"Honestly, I just want to forget the whole thing. I could care less about her and why she did it," I said after a moment of silence.

"Are you serious?" she said shocked and somewhat disappointed.

"Yeah, Cass. I just want to move on. We're almost done with school and then I'll never have to see her again," I explained.

"Aw," she pouted, "I had so many revenge plots ready."

I chuckled and intertwined our hands.

It wasn't as easy to avoid Elena as I had wanted it to be due to us being in the same class twice a day.

She stopped at my desk but didn't get a chance to say anything because Priya called out for everyone to take their seats.

Of course, the journal prompt was to describe the most disgusting thing you could think of. I let my pencil do the work as my consciousness flowed onto the paper. It wasn't hard to find something disgusting to think of.

Hot breath that clogged my nose suffocated me. Clammy hands fumbled across my body sloppily searching desperately for more. The shadowy figure above me gripped my throat causing my ears to ring with the throbbing of my pulse. The sweat pooled between our bodies. My nails dug into his flesh like butter as I tried to release the pressure crushing my throat. This made the shadow angry, crushing my hands above my head with the weight of the world. There was no escaping the toxic scent of sweat and alcohol that narrowly entered my lungs. Wet lips crashed into my own and a tongue begged for entrance into my mouth. The rhythmic movement made the shadow moan and my stomach churn —

"Time," Priya said, breaking my thought stream.

I reluctantly handed her my writing response and stared off into space as she began to lecture on our upcoming assignment. Unable to focus, I found myself fantasizing about cutting. I felt sick and uncomfortable in my skin. I wished I could be in anyone else's life for just a moment. Anything but my life would be a reprieve.

I wasn't aware Priya had dismissed class until Beckett kneeled down beside my desk and gently said my name.

I looked around to find the classroom was empty except for Priya.

"How's your arm?" He asked, bringing my attention back to him.

"It's fine," I said hollowly.

He smiled softly and nodded his head.