16

Beckett had spent the rest of the school holiday with his siblings in the city and didn't return until last night. It was his birthday today, December 3rd. I had lied and told him that I needed to work but that we would celebrate on the weekend.

I printed out the photo that his parents had taken of us on Thanksgiving and purchased a frame. I had Cass hide it in her locker so that I could surprise him at his house after school.

I waited at the bus stop giddily swinging my legs off the edge of the bench. I was distracted by fluffing the tissue paper in the bag when someone took a seat next to me. I looked over because they were sitting uncomfortably close.

"Hey baby," EJ said, licking his lips, "you dress up like that just for me?"

His hand slid up my thigh, beneath my school skirt, making me jump up. I backed away, accidentally bumping into a stranger.

I turned around to apologize when I stopped in fear. There were two young men, dressed just like EJ staring at me and licking their lips. I tried to walk away but they cornered me until I backed against the advertisement on the inside of the bus stop awning.

"What do you want, EJ?" I asked, trying not to sound scared as he stepped closer.

"Nothing, just saw you sitting here all lonely, thought you might like some company," he said, running a finger along my cheek which I turned away from.

His hand gripped my jaw so that I was looking at him. Before I could do anything his lips were pressed against mine.

"Get off!" I screamed as I pushed him back.

The bus was approaching so I pushed past his friends who were laughing and quickly climbed on. I took a seat watching as they laughed and high fived each other while the bus pulled away.

I wiped my lips, a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach. I tried as hard as I could to lock the memory away in my mind before ringing Beckett's doorbell.

The door opened forcefully and the smile I had forced fell when I saw Beckett's face.

"What're you doing here?" he said squinting his eyes at me.

"Surprise!" I said holding up the bag with his present.

He didn't move, simply shaking his head at me as if he was disgusted by my presence.

"You know, I can't believe you actually thought I wanted to date you. You're nothing," he snarled.

"Wh-what?" I asked, stunned, dropping the bag on the porch.

What is going on?

"Go away, we're done," he said, moving to close the door.

"Wait, Beck, stop!" I cried out as I pushed the door open, my voice quivering.

"Oh god, seriously, don't cry. You look pathetic. I asked you to leave," he said firmly before slamming the door in my face.

I didn't move, just stared at the door in shock as I began to cry.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and quickly dialed his number. It went straight to voicemail. I hung up with frustration and tried again, and again, with no response.

I wiped my face and slowly walked away from his house, back towards the bus stop. I racked my brain for reasons that would make him act this way.

Did I do something wrong? Is this because I didn't have sex with him? Why wouldn't he give me an explanation? I could've fixed things.

I didn't know what to do and I couldn't get the tears to stop. I pulled out my phone and hesitantly dialed Cassidy's number.

"Hello?" she answered brightly.

I sniffled and cleared my throat trying to get the words out.

"Sky? What's wrong? Are you okay?" she asked urgently.

"I, I think he broke up with me," I finally choked out as I sat on the curb.

"What? Beckett broke up with you?" she shrieked, "Oh my god! I'm going to kill that asswipe."

I laughed at her anger for me and wiped my nose on my blazer.

"I just don't know what I did. I mean, I think I know, but it just doesn't make sense," I said, the tears burning my eyes again.

"What did he say?" she asked.

"He didn't really say anything..." I lied, too embarrassed to be honest, "I just, I think it's because I wouldn't have sex with him."

"What?" she shouted incredulously, "Oh no, that dick! He's gonna get a piece of me."

"Cass, don't," I sighed.

"Ugh," she groaned with disappointment muttering profanities under her breath, "Can we at least TP his house? Come on, it'll be fun. I'll call Elena. We can get revenge," she said.

"I dunno," I moaned.

"It'll be cathartic," she sang in persuasion.

"I know, I know. I'm just not in the mood" I sighed, standing up from the ground and brushing off my bum, "Look, I'll call you later. Can you tell El, I don't wanna talk anymore?"

"Yeah, no problem," she said before I hung up and headed towards the bus.

When I got home, Waylin was still at the afterschool program so I dropped my bag on the floor and locked myself in the bathroom. The tears that spilled were filled with anger instead of sadness. I was angry at myself for trusting him, for sharing so much with him, for caring about him...for loving him. I impatiently ripped my clothes from my body and turned on the shower. I stared at my body in the mirror that was beginning to fog up.

My pink scars were beginning to turn white. I bit my lip in debate.

Don't Skylar. You can't make that mistake again.

"But it doesn't matter, you're nothing!" I cried aloud as I pounded my fist against the counter.

I removed the bag of disposable razors from the back of the bathroom cabinet and dumped them on the counter. It took me a minute to break the razor apart since it had been so long since I'd used one. When I finally got it apart, I pursed my lips and let the pain sear my flesh. I finally stopped when I heard the front door open and slam shut.

"Sissy?" I heard Waylin's voice yelling from the other side of the door.

"I'll be out in a bit, just getting in the shower," I called out straining my voice that was thick with emotion.

I looked down at the mess I had made on my arm, silently sobbing. I cleaned up and let myself cry it out in the shower. I told myself that when I left the bathroom I would be over it. I would put on a smile and spend time with Waylin. So, that's what I did; I locked every memory with Beckett away in a room inside my mind, with extra padlocks.