34

I was sweating with anxiety as I waited for mom to come home. We had missed school and Cassidy was going ballistic, threatening to come to my house if I didn't show up to school tomorrow. She said we needed to stand united against Elena.

Honestly, Elena's betrayal was the least of my worries.

The door finally opened and Waylin and I ran to greet our mom. She almost collapsed as we engulfed her in a tight hug.

"Mommy!" Waylin sobbed, "don't leave again. Please!"

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again," she said emotionlessly as she pushed away.

That's when I noticed how ill she looked. Her lips were chapped and she was pale and sweating. She unsteadily made her way to her bedroom where she locked her door. I could hear her muffled voice as she spoke on the phone to someone.

"Come here," I sighed as I embraced Waylin, "she's probably just tired. I'm sure she'll come out to talk soon. Why don't you help me with dinner?"

He grumbled at first but brightened up as we started joking around and being silly.

We were playing a game of Go Fish when there was a knock on the door.

I told Waylin to stay put as I went to see who it was.

My heart dropped as I stood face to face with EJ.

"Seriously?" I complained as my mom dragged herself from her bedroom.

"Come in, EJ," she smiled as best she could.

He pushed passed me and stepped into the living room.

"Do you have it?" My mom asked impatiently, her feigned sweetness not lasting long.

"Not so fast. You still owe me from last time," he said, licking his lips as he caught my gaze.

My stomach churned.

"Mom, you're supposed to be getting clean," I argued.

"Shut up and stay out of my business," she spat.

"EJ, darling, come on. You know I'm good for it. I can give you the money when I get paid next week," she persuaded.

"No way, I'm not giving you shit unless I'm getting something," he stated.

Her demeanor quickly changed and she asked him flatly what else he wanted.

"I could use her for a while," he suggested, biting his lip as he stared at me.

"Fine," she said, "but I want what I asked for now."

"Mom!" I shouted in disbelief, "what the hell are you doing?"

"You're going to do what you're told or I'm going to kick you out on the street," she snarled in German.

I stared at her in shock as she held out her hand for EJ to give her the drugs.

When the exchange was over I snapped out of it and quickly entered the kitchen where I turned the stove off.

Kneeling in front of Waylin I grabbed his hands.

"I'm going to go out for a little while, but I'll be back soon. Okay?" I said softly.

He nodded with tears in his eyes. He had clearly heard too much.

"It's okay. I'm fine. When the timer on the stove goes off the food is ready okay?"

"Okay," he whispered.

I kissed him goodbye and adjusted my sling as I nodded to EJ I was ready.

He placed his hand on my lower back as he guided me out of the apartment and out of the apartment building.