8

I stifled a yawn as Priya explained the assignment that was due next Monday.

"I want you to get creative with the narration, so make sure you pay attention to the stories that your partner tells you so that you can really critique their work," she added before allowing us to break away with our partners.

"We meet again," Beckett smiled as he slid into the chair next to mine.

I chuckled lightly at his comment.

"So, why don't you go first," I suggested as I turned my body to face him more directly.

"Um, sure. Okay, you ready?" he asked and I nodded.

"Well, as I'm sure you know my parents are Antoni and Melissa Hill. My dad is a neurosurgeon at Old Ashton Hospital and my mom is a family lawyer. I have two siblings, Catherine and Andrew. They're both away at university. Catherine is studying pre-law at Berkley and Andrew is in his final year of medical school at Harvard."

"Okay, um, how did your parents meet?" I asked.

"Oh, um, they met in college. They both went to Carnegie Mellon University."

"Wow, no wonder your siblings go to ivy league schools," I commented with a twinge of jealousy.

"Yeah, well, if it were up to me, I'd just go somewhere local."

"Really?" I asked shocked.

"Yeah, I honestly want to become a teacher. Like elementary school."

"Hm, I seriously would never have guessed that," I said surprised.

"Neither would my parents. They want me to go somewhere big and fancy."

"Can you blame them? They've basically bred genius children," I smirked.

"Oh, so you think I'm a genius?" he flirted.

"Now, now, don't get ahead of yourself. You're not going to any ivy league school, remember," I clapped back.

He chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Anyways, back to the assignment. Do you have a particular memory in mind that you're going to write about?" I asked.

"Um, I think I'm going to write about the lake. We used to spend our summers there when we were younger. My grandparents on my dad's side owned a cabin by the lake since my dad was a toddler. Before they passed away we used to stay there until school began.

"There was this one time that Katy and Andrew let me come with them to the woods behind our cabin. We climbed all the way up to this lookout point and made a fort up there. We stayed there until sunset pretending we were on the run from the cops. I just remember feeling so free. No parents around. Just us kids having fun and not fighting for once. It was the summer before Andrew went to middle school and we drifted apart. Honestly it's one of the happiest memories I have with my siblings," he smiled.

"That sounds really nice," I nodded, "So, your dad is from Old Ashton then?"

"Yeah. My parents moved here after they got married. Anyways, enough about me, what about you?" he asked.

"Oh," I said remembering we were doing an assignment, "um, what do you want to know?"

"Well," he said as he thought for a moment, "what about your parents? How did you end up here in Old Ashton?"

"It's honestly not that interesting," I said looking down at my phone as I traced my finger around the circular home button.

"Well, I wanna know."