13

I spent the whole night thinking about our kiss. I don't think I slept except a few hours. I didn't even care when my mom yelled at me the next day. She was clearly in withdrawal, but I didn't care. I just wanted to see Beckett again. I prepared food and constantly stared at the clock above the stove.

I took my time to braid my hair back so it cascaded down my back. I even borrowed some of my mom's mascara which made my blue eyes pop.

"Way!" I called out as I straightened the dress I was wearing, "Come 'ere for a sec!"

"What?" he asked unenthused as he entered the room.

"Should I wear my white shoes or my black shoes?" I asked as I held them in front of me.

"Um, I dunno. Maybe the white," he shrugged before leaving the room.

"Ugh," I groaned.

I called him back in the room to take a picture so I could send it to the group chat. El and Cass both agreed that the white shoes looked best since I was wearing a jean jacket.

I checked the time again and quickly grabbed a purse from the closet and shoved the necessities inside. I kissed Waylin goodbye and reminded him that I would be back in a few hours. Beckett had been instructed to pick me up at the end of the block. I had hoped to avoid him seeing where exactly I lived, but unfortunately, he was already parked and waiting outside his car. He saw me walk out of the building, making me squirm inside with annoyance.

"Hey," he said, his face lighting up.

"Hey," I replied, nervously tugging on the hem of my dress.

"You look amazing," he said softly, before leaning in to peck my lips.

All the negative energy escaped me and was replaced with the warmth of his body pressed against mine and the woodsy scent enveloping his body, however fleeting the moment felt.

He opened the car door, and I quickly shook myself out of my stupor before climbing inside.

"I hope you're hungry," he said as we pulled away from the curb.

"Yep," I nodded, "where are we eating?"

I took in his outfit while he responded.

"Cesar's, I hope that's okay. You like Italian?" he asked with worry in his voice.

"Yes," I chuckled, "I like Italian."

"Okay," he said relieved, "good."

He fiddled with his collared shirt as we waited at a stop sign. He certainly knew how to dress. He suddenly turned and winked at me, catching me in my obvious staring. I looked out the window, my cheeks warm with embarrassment.

"How was your day?" he asked, glancing over at me.

"Oh, it was good. How about you?" I asked.

"It was great. Felt like forever," he expressed, smiling at me, "I couldn't wait to see you again."

If my cheeks weren't red before, they certainly were now.

Like before, he was quick to open my door for me when we parked, offering me his hand to help me out.

"Thanks," I said softly.

He didn't release my hand and instead interlaced our fingers as we walked towards the entrance. As much as I was happy to be touching him, I was worried that my hands were too sweaty and he was going to get grossed out. He didn't say anything when he released my hand to open the door for me and reconnected them as we approached the hostess.

"Table for Beckett Hill," he said, flashing me a smile while the hostess collected two menus.

"Right this way," she smiled sweetly.

I didn't think it would feel so effortless spending time alone with him, but the time flew by without an awkward or uncomfortable moment between us. The conversation was smooth and it wasn't until the waiter brought the check that I realized our night would be ending soon. I felt like we could talk for hours more. It wasn't necessarily deep conversation, ranging from childhood stories and where we saw ourselves in a few years to opinions of the best flavor of ice cream.

When we later parked in front of my place we both sat in silence for a moment. Beckett brushed his finger along my hand that was resting on my thigh, making my heart race.

"I had a really good time," he said gently, making me look up to meet his warm eyes.

He adjusted his body and slipped his hand into my hair pulling our faces closer together. I saw his eyes roll back before they closed and our lips met.

I wanted to touch him too. I followed his arm until I reached his shoulder and combed my fingers into his hair. I felt him smile against my mouth before deepening the kiss.

When he finally pulled away, I was breathless and already missing the sensation.

"Goodnight, Skylar," he said smirking at me with sultry eyes.

"Goodnight," I finally responded before exiting the car.

I laughed to myself as I opened my front door and slipped out of my shoes.

"Mom?" I heard Waylin call from our bedroom.

"It's me, Way," I responded walking down the hall.

My face fell from the smile into a frown as I passed my mother's empty bedroom.

"Where'd Mom go?" I asked Waylin who was sitting up in his bunk with a book.

"I don't know, she just left," he asked with concern, covering his eyes so I could change.

"Hm, maybe she picked up a shift," I said trying to put him at ease.

"No, I don't think so, her uniform is in her closet. I checked," he sighed.

"Well, don't worry. I'll call her," I said, as I slipped into a pair of pajamas.

I grabbed my phone from my purse on the floor and dialed her number. I went to voicemail immediately.

Of course.

"Coast is clear," I said and Waylin uncovered his face, "did you brush your teeth?"

"Yes," he said, pulling his book in front of his face.

"Hm," I said skeptically, stepping onto my mattress so I could be at eye level with him.

I pulled the book down, and asked again, raising an eyebrow.

"Ugh," he groaned climbing down, "why do we even have to brush our teeth? Why can't we have, like, automatic brushing teeth?"

I laughed at his idea and joined him in the bathroom to prepare for bed, pushing out of my mind our mother's absence.