38

The next day after school, I waited for Beckett at his locker. I needed him to be honest before I broke into pieces any further.

"Hey," he smiled brightly when he saw me.

"I need you to be completely honest with me," I said in a serious tone.

"Of course," he said leaning against his locker.

"Did you send those photos around?" I asked.

His face exploded with bewilderment and frustration.

"Skylar, I told you, I swear I didn't send them," he said firmly, looking directly into my eyes.

"Okay, well I think I know how it happened," I said hesitantly.

"You do? How?" He asked impatiently.

"Look, I don't want to start any drama, because I've moved on," I said before he cut me off.

"Skylar, just tell me," he pleaded.

"Well, you went to Randy's party that night right?"

He nodded and realization slowly washed over him.

"Holy shit, I'm going to kill that bastard," he threatened, slamming a fist into the locker.

"Wait, who? Did someone take your phone that night?" I asked, startled by his sudden outburst.

He was shaking with a dark look in his eyes, so I took an instinctive step backward. He didn't respond to my question, but his jaw throbbed with anger.

"Beckett, don't do anything stupid please," I said softly.

He ignored me and ran down the hall with purpose.

I sighed, relieved that he hadn't lied to me, and made my way to the bus.

I took my time walking home from the bus stop, knowing that my mom was already off work. When I opened the door, EJ and her were sitting at the kitchen table. I stood there in shock for a moment before she called me over.

"Get your ass over here," she said bitterly.

I dropped my bag by the door and slowly approached, stopping several feet away.

The way EJ was staring at me, made me want to vomit. My palms were sweating in anticipation of what was about to happen.

"You need to pay up," she said, taking a sip from a beer bottle.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"EJ needs those drugs back. And after the stunt you pulled the other night you're lucky to be alive," she said scoffing.

"Mom, I don't understand. I didn't do anything wrong," I croaked, trying to clear the lump in my throat, "and I don't have the drugs. I tossed them."

"I didn't realize I had raised such a stupid whore," she said coldly.

"What does she owe you?" She asked EJ.

He looked at me like a piece of meat, smacking his lips.

"$500, and an hour alone," he winked at me.

I waited for my mom to say something, but she simply motioned for me to comply. My heart was pounding in my chest.

"I don't have that kind of money," I said nervously, "I only have about 100 bucks but that's for the phone bills."

"That'll do for now," he said getting up from the table and reaching for me.

"Mom!" I shouted, but she simply got up and left the apartment.