9

I swear every minute that passed felt like a day as I waited for the bus to arrive to take me past Beckett's neighborhood. I tugged at my ponytail to tighten it as I anxiously checked the time on my phone again.

Cass had lent me the tight black leggings and a long-sleeved v-neck that had buttons at the top. Despite the high-waisted band digging into my sides, the clothes were surprisingly comfortable. The morning fall air was crisp and I was grateful that I had brought a lightweight jacket in my backpack in case I needed it. The houses on my block had decorated their porches with pumpkins and gourds. I loved this time of year because the weather was just the right amount of cool and the leaves crunched beneath your feet.

The bus finally arrived and I casually watched the houses that passed by gradually increasing in size the farther from downtown we got.

I pressed the button and stood up as the bus approached my stop. I climbed the street opposite the bus stop and made my way through the neighborhood of mansions. Granted, they were not legitimate mansions but were certainly the biggest houses in town. Most of them had gated entrances except the one in the middle of a cul de sac; Beckett's house. It was a two-story home with lots of windows and a long driveway leading up to the house.

I slowly walked up the driveway and debated whether or not I should knock. I decided that I should just text him in case his family was sleeping. I took a seat on the bench on the front porch and let him know I was outside. A few moments later the front door opened and I quickly stood up.

"Hey," he smiled with his hazel eyes, "come inside, I've just gotta put my shoes on."

I nodded and followed him into the house. The inside was just as I remembered it ten years ago at his seventh birthday party. I followed him from the entryway into the kitchen where I was surprised to see his parents going about their morning routines.

"Mom, Dad, you remember Skylar, right?" he asked as he put some snacks into a backpack on the island counter.

"Oh, yes, good morning Skylar, so nice to see you," his mom exclaimed with a bright smile that radiated genuine interest.

"Honey, you remember Skylar," she said to her husband who was making coffee.

"Of course, hi Skylar," he said smiling over his shoulder.

"Hi, good morning," I smiled back politely.

"You two be safe, make sure you bring a first aid kit okay?" his mom said with concern as she pulled a pan of bacon out of the oven.

"Yes, ma'am. Don't worry," Beckett replied rolling his eyes at me in apology for his parents nagging.

"Well, we're going to head out now. I'll see you later," he said as he slung the backpack over his shoulder.

I noticed he was also wearing casual clothes in a pair of fitted track bottoms and a plain crew-neck long-sleeved shirt.

"Sorry about them," he said as he leaned over the bench in the entryway, tying his laces.

"That's okay, your parents are really nice," I replied.

"That's what they want you to think," he laughed, "Come on, let's go."

We climbed into his car and I settled my backpack between my feet on the floor. I watched as he plugged in his phone and turned the volume down on the radio as his phone connected to his music app.

"I should have asked this sooner, but are you hungry?" he suddenly asked turning his head towards me.

"Um, no worries, I ate before I left," I smiled.