18

I impatiently sat at the kitchen table, staring at the door. My mom wasn't answering her phone, as per usual. I checked the clock again. It was just after midnight.

I groaned and rested my chin in my hands.

I was startled by the sound of the door closing and jumped out of the chair.

I rubbed my neck that was sore from sleeping at the table and cleared my throat.

"What?" my mom asked annoyed.

"So, were you just going to let us get evicted and live on the streets, or what was your plan?" I asked coldly, folding my arms against my chest.

"I don't have time for this right now," she sighed, taking off a pair of heels.

"You don't have time," I spat, "so you want your children to be homeless?"

"Watch your tone," she hissed.

I picked up the stack of bills from the table, throwing them at her.

"You're welcome by the way," I sneered, "I paid the landlord three grand."

"Yeah, well it's about time you helped out around here," she said defensively.

I threw my hands up in exasperation.

"Look, I don't have the money to pay the rest of these. They're going to turn our utilities off in two days if we don't pay the minimum of $700," I sighed, shaking my head.

"What do you want me to do? Huh? I don't have the money, clearly," she argued, kicking the bills on the floor.

"Are you serious?" I asked, panic starting to rise in my chest.

"I lost my job at the hotel," she said, pushing past me.

I watched, processing what she said, as she twisted the cap of a beer bottle off.

"When?" I finally asked.

"About a month ago," she shrugged.

"Why?"

"It doesn't matter, dammit," she shouted.

"Keep your voice down," I hissed, "Waylin is sleeping."

"Well, have you tried finding another job?" I asked, trying to remain hopeful.

"Yes, but there's nothing else in town," she sighed, taking a swig.

"What are we going to do? I don't have any more money. I used all my savings, and I don't make that kind of money at the greengrocers. Besides, they close for the holidays," I said deflated as I sat down at the table across from her.

She shrugged.

"Seriously? Nothing?" I said annoyed, "You have no plan?"

"You don't like it here, then you can leave," she spat, "Go, get out. Don't come back."

I didn't move.

"That's what I thought," she said smugly.

She rolled her eyes and pulled a plastic bag from her jacket pocket. She dropped a pill onto the table and crushed it with the bottom of her beer bottle.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked, watching in disgust.

"Where do you think?" she said looking up from the powder before leaning down to the table to snort it.

I shook my head.

"So you have money for drugs, but not the bills?" I asked angrily.

"Don't talk to me like that," she spat, closing her eyes and leaning back in her chair, "I swear I will kick your ass out if you talk to me like that again."

"You don't have anybody that could lend you the money?" I suggested, ignoring her shallow threats.

I tapped her foot under the table when she didn't respond. I almost thought she was dead. Her eyes were sunk into her face and her skin was pale.

"I don't know about lending, but I know someone who would give you the money in exchange for work," she said, her crystal eyes rolling forward as she slowly opened them.

"Who?" I asked skeptically.

"EJ," she smiled.

"I'm not dealing drugs for cash," I shook my head.

"That's not what I meant," she laughed, pulling out her phone and dialing his number.

"More already?" he answered on speakerphone.

"No, I need a favor," she said smoothly.

"What's that?" he asked.

"We need some money," she said sweetly.

He laughed on the other end of the line.

"Baby, not for free. What do you want in return?" my mom persuaded.

"Hmm," he paused in thought for a moment, "I could use some of that spicy girl you got," he said slowly.

"Ew," I said before my mom slapped my arm and told him we'd call him back.

"Baby, come on, they'll take you away if we don't pay the bills," she sighed, giving me a sad look with tears in her eyes.

"You want me to sleep with him?" I asked, my jaw dropping.

"Do you want them to take you and Waylin away?" she asked.

"No," I sighed, "I just, I don't want to do that. There has to be another way. You can get another job and maybe you could, you know, just cut back for a while," I suggested.

Her rough hand slapped my cheek, my eyes immediately filling with tears.

"Don't tell me what to do," she said gritting her teeth, "you're going to do this or you're going to leave this house."

I stared into her dead eyes and let the guilt win. I couldn't leave Waylin behind. She sounded serious about kicking me out and I couldn't risk it.

"Okay," I said flatly.

"Good girl," she nodded and caressed burning my cheek.

She called him back and told him to come over tomorrow.

I left my faded mom at the table and crawled into bed, a pit forming in my stomach.

Skylar, you're doing this for Waylin.