44

I kissed Waylin's forehead and crept out of his clutches, trying my best not to wake him. When I entered the hall, Beckett was at the top of the stairs.

"Did he finally fall asleep?"

"Yeah," I said, blowing out a deep breath.

I ran my hands through my hair, biting my quivering lip.

He didn't say anything as he wrapped his arms around my sore body. I let him hold me for a few moments until I pulled away and wiped my eyes and nose on my sleeve.

"You want to sleep in my room again?" he offered.

I chewed on my lip. It was hard to admit that I wanted nothing more than to lie next to him, but I finally nodded.

I curled up against his body and he held me tightly.

"Sky," he said softly after a while of silence.

"Yeah," I said as he pulled away to look at me.

"I'm really glad you told me everything."

"Don't look at me like that," I cringed at his expression of pity.

He looked at me in silence before finally speaking.

"I'm just...so fucking sorry that I didn't see what was really going on. That I didn't give you a chance to explain those photos. That I said..." he paused, clearing his throat, "that I said those things to you that weren't true. I just wish I could go back. Then maybe, maybe if I had listened, or looked more closely, I could have stopped you from hurting yourself."

"That was the point. You weren't supposed to know me...not really," I sighed, "I didn't want anyone to know anything. I was, I am, embarrassed."

"You're wrong. I do know at least some of you. You don't like mayo. You always arrive to class early so you can have a seat in the front. You play with the hem of your skirt when you're nervous. You are strong, so smart, brave, sarcastic," he chuckled, "...beautiful...so beautiful. I may not know every little thing about you, but if you'll let me, I want to learn."

I stared at him, the corners of my mouth twitching to smile but my eyes were watering with tears.

"I don't understand. Why are you so nice?" I laugh-cried.

He chuckled and wiped the tear that had wet my cheek, giving me those butterflies I felt when we were dating.

"What's going on inside your mind, huh? Talk to me," he soothed using his thumb to wipe each tear from my cheek.

"I feel," I paused to catch my breath, "I feel like I don't deserve it. I'm scared. I'm scared that I'm just as bad as my mom. I don't want to be like her, but I can't stop. I can't stop it, and I hate myself for it."

"Baby, you are nothing like her. And getting help proves that. You are not a bad person. At all. You are smart and kind and loving. And responsible. I swear baby, you are not your mom," he stated with conviction.

"Things will be so much better. I promise you that nothing will be as bad as the days behind you. You're safe now. You and Waylin both. You don't need to worry. My parents meant every word they said. They want you both to stay here. They want to help take care of you and Waylin..."

I looked over his shoulder, staring into the nothingness as I digested what he said.

"I care so much about you. And I've thought about you every day," he paused and gently grasped my chin so I was looking at him, "please, one day, I hope that you'll forgive me."

I just nodded and stared into his glossy green eyes.

He pulled me into his chest as I let sobs shake my body.

He held me tight and whispered repeatedly that I was good.

When my breathing had returned to normal I pulled away wiping my eyes.

"Sorry," I laughed, seeing that I'd soaked his shirt with tears and snot.

"That's okay," he smirked, sitting up and removing his t-shirt, "just admit it, you really like to see me shirtless," he joked.