chapter 9🥦

Grace

"Get your things ready, we are traveling to Abuja." From oversize shoe.

I couldn't change his name, Kunle didn't fit one bit, oversize shoe was ok, but arrogant bastard, bighead, very handsome with longnose, fits his description perfectly. Sadly, my phone won't let me save a name that long.

It's been two months of working with my tasking boss and I got my pay as promised, 100 thousand naira.

The moment I got my first alert, I was tempted to quit the job, but the greed in my heart got the best of me.

With boredom blurring my vision, I read the text once more. My eyes flew open at the last sentence. "Traveling to Abuja".

I pushed back my chair and raced out of the door not minding the fish mouth sandals heels I wore.

I can't travel to Abuja, I can't leave Natalie alone, I thought with a pounding heart and wide explosive eyes.

Now race walking, I waved past Joy and stopped in front of Kunle's office.

I Adjusted my black wig that moved from it's resting place on my shoulders and pushed the door open without knocking.

"Yes?" His head was bent and focused on his laptop.

I moved from my position to his desk, while he scrubbed some note on a pad beside the laptop.

I exhaled with closed eyes and said, "Sir, I just got your message, and-"

"And?" He inquired, not meeting my gaze.

"I can't travel," I spilled, not ready to stall the topic.

"And why not?" He placed the pencil on the pad and stared at me with clasped lips.

I shifted from one foot to another suddenly feeling uneased by his looks. "I can't leave my younger sister at home."

"What about your parents?" He polled, his eyes still focused on me.

"Not available."

He furrowed his brows and picked his pencil. "She could stay with a family member or something."

"No sir."

"I need my assistant in this meeting. You need to find another option, there is no excuse Miss Grace, we are leaving tomorrow." He waved his hands, picked up the pad he jotted on.

***

"I swear, I need your help," I started, the moment her cheery voice came up. I moved to the opened window of my office and watched vehicles speed down the high way.

"What's up?" Monica asked, her tone already alerted like a frustrated mother.

"Can Natalie come to stay with you for the next four days? I'm traveling for an official business trip."

She hissed. "Grace why not? what are best friends for? plus, I know you won't ask if it's not important. I will come to pick her up, ok?"

I nodded, an irrelevant action that could not be acknowledged. "Thank you so much."

"Back to work young lady," she said in her authoritative voice.

"Yes ma'am." I hung up, picked my note pad and immediately, launched towards Kunle's office.

"Sir, What time will our flight be leaving?"

"11:00 am," he replied, walking away from the glass window. 

"I just e-mailed the program for each day so you can get prepared," he added.

On cue, my phone vibrated in my black plain trouser.