chapter 14🌜

Grace

Dinner party starts six so get ready.

I read his text again and hissed, the only fun I could boost of having during this business trip was the little time I spent with Chris at the bar which ended awkwardly with a kiss. It had been all business talks and meeting and honestly, I was thankful it was over.

Well, that is why it's called a business trip.

I stood from the bed and moved to the bathroom. It was just 3:30 pm, enough time to make myself up, send pictures to Monica and Natalie and get their reaction, which was the ultimate task since they both believed I might change into a suit.

"As if looking good to this dinner will make any difference, why didn't they just let me go with my suit for Christ sake," I lamented, letting my towel drop before stepping into the bathroom.

Minutes later, I sat in front of the large mirror with a dried face, my black dress was spread on the bed, my heels sat beside it, and my sliver makeup box took the lead in front of me.

"Time to perform my magic," I said, gently spreading out my makeup kit on the table.

My mum was a beauty perfectionist or a makeup artist as called by all. From a tender age of ten, she taught me how to hold the brushes, their uses, and laughed at my mistakes, especially when I ended drawing cutlass for an eyebrow which was mostly every night of our lecture in her room.

My dad, Mr Taiwo was a successful businessman in his field of importing car's part into Nigeria, therefore he wasn't in tune with the nature of her job.

He travelled around the world non-stop, spending only weekends with his family. I remembered his last trip was with mum, not for business as usual but a vacation meant for relaxation that ended with misery in the life of his children.

Almost an hour later, I applied my nude lipstick and stood, done with my makeup. I moved to the bed ready to dress but the vibration of my phone caught my attention.

I will send a car to pick you up at 5:30 pm, I need to attend to something urgently.

"Thank God," I mumbled, pulling the dress from my legs upward, an attempt to prevent destroying my makeup. I wasn't cut out for Kunle's attitude or his repugnance looks and honestly going alone would help re-arrange my thoughts.

I wore my silver cross earring and matching necklace that highlighted my neckline and rested on my long sleeve black dress which had a left side slide that ran up to my knees.

"Perfect," I said smirking my lips together as I moved to the next agenda. Pictures.

After minutes of pictures, I sent them on WhatsApp and went offline not ready for chitchat.
Immediately, my phone buzzed and I placed it on speaker waiting patiently for the inevitable insult from my best friend.

"Why you no go ever do something like normal human being?" She started.

"What did I do now?" I inquired, knowing well enough what I did, she was referring to the pictures I sent.

"Must you snap pictures like goat with your tongue out and eyes rolling like someone having a convulsion? abeg take better pictures," She said and hung up.

I took a much better picture with smiles and sent them. "People's husbands will die, we go show them!"

"Monica shut up, just tell me how I look."

"You look muah, you look perfect," she complimented.

"Thank you baby."

"You should be thanking me more, mumu you want to wear suit to party," She said, obviously still irritated by my choice of clothes.