Chapter 16🚕

Grace

I was squeezed to the door with three other passengers at the back of the taxi. It was the rule of all taxi drivers in Nigeria to have four passengers at the back and two at the front, except those running drops. The sweat and stink from the other passengers floated into my nose, making worst my condition as I sniffed and wiped my eyes.

My mind was clouded with emotions as I tried to hold back the tears that were ready to pour like moring rain in the month of May. I couldn't believe I hit my boss, neither could I  believe he kissed me. The same guy that had me working my ass out, the same guy that couldn't stand my presence kissed me.

Unbelievable!

I descended the taxi, collected my change and walked into the hotel with swollen eyes not minding the curious stares I got from the reception desk.

***

Kunle

I watched the taxi  drove off with my hands in my pocket and my jaw tightened

Kunle what have you done?

I shut my eyes letting my imagination and the cold night breeze clear my head.

Failing to achieve a  clear head, I decided to head back to the party but the sight of Chris standing across the road with folded hands was enough to hint that my party was over.

"Damn it," I murmured, crossing the road and moving to my best friend.

"Why did you do that?" His eyes were filled with hurt as I stopped in front of him with hands still tucked.

"Do what?" I asked, answering question with question in a typical Nigeria style.

"You kissed her. That's you betraying my trust Kunle, I told you I like her."

"I don't have to explain my actions to anyone especially you, you just want to play with her emotions and we both know that," I countered, but the reality of his words were clear in my head.

He took a step backwards and shook with laughter, it was strange how he could change from a serious state to a waggish one in seconds.

"Are you serious? This is the first time you stood up for a lady. I thought you didn't care?"

"Doesn't mean you should play with her feelings and I still don't care," I said, frustration vibrating in my tone as it grew deeper.

He shook his head obviously reading more to my words than I intended. "You know what? To be sincere I don't think I'm ready for a relationship, I mean I serious relationship, so you can have her if you are interested."

Typical of Chris to jump into conclusion.

"I never said I was interested in her guy, I just finished your sister's issue I'm not ready for drama abeg," I said, brushing his words into the trash can right next to him.

"I think you like her, I noticed the way your eyes danced when she walked in this evening." He paused with a smile creeping at the edge of his lips.

"And the fact you kissed her, the fact you, the always organized Kunle kissed her is something to write about men."

"Kai, Chris seriously?"

He smirked and shrugged. "Yeah seriously."

"Stop kidding yourself, stop making things up," I said, uncertain of my words. Tonight something happened but in reality, I was not sure what or why.

"Can we get a drink and discuss this inside?" He pointed to the party venue a few feet away

"Drinks will be later, I have something important to do."

He nodded and led the way back into the company ground of Zeus. 

I stopped in front of the entrance of the hall. "I'm not going in there," I said, feeling an ache in my head.

I needed to get away from noise and party was noise in capital later, plus I wasn't ready to face dad especially after messing things with Grace instead of fixing them.

"Well, since my friend is interested in my supposed but never gonna be future girlfriend, I'm going in there to find my next catch." He grinned and walked in without waiting for my comeback.

That was one thing with Chris, he never took things to heart, but one thing I also didn't understand was how in one minute he was trying to win a girl and the next he was heading for a new catch.

I ran my hands through my face and head for the parking lot. Without thinking I knew where I was headed for.

I had to do it.

***

Author notes.

Hey, guys, you can always drop your comment, vote or Dm me directly, it will be nice to hear from you.

Yeah, the chapter is short and I'm sorry about it.💖💖💖💖