Chapter 17🐼

Grace

I walked out of the shower feeling weak and drained, remembering my promise I dialled Monica.

"Back soo soon?" She asked, in her usual cheerful voice that always had me smiling.

But not tonight.

"Yeah."

"What happened? you don't sound ok." I knew she was going to detect my mood the moment she picked. So without missing a beat, I narrated the evening's event and ended with my intentions of quitting.

"I understand, you know I'm always here for you and Natalie. Just do what is right," she said.

"Thank you, I don't know what I can do without you."

"There are a lot of things babe, but first I need your boss's number. I'm going to give him a piece of my mind with juice or ice cream on top."

"No need Monica, abeg no need."

"Send it now Grace."

"Ok, but promise you won't call him till I get home."

"I agree,  He just prays I don't get my hands on him. Asin make him pray to the gods of their land."

I smiled worried for Kunle, knowing Grace her words might break him more than the impact from her heels.  "Monica the fighter, abeg make them no arrest you."

"If them arrest me for your sake I no get issues, that's what best friends do."

"So how will you get back to Lagos? if you are quitting."

"I don't know yet, if possible I go leg am."

I heard her chuckled from her end and joined her. I knew how impossible my words were but I had to get back one way or the other.

"Don't worry we go sort things out, You fit use bus," she said.

I moved to the wardrobe, pulled out my travelling case. "There is always a way," I said, with the phone pressed to my ears.

We said our goodbye and I continued my job of rearranging my clothes.

***

The door to my suite swung open and I sighed, rancour visible in my eyes as I he stood with his back to the door.

"You may own the hotel but I still deserve my privacy," I said, picking my shoes and pressing them ontop my folded clothes.

"I didn't mean what I said earlier."

I zipped my bag and focused my attention on his atolid face. Nodding with hands akimbo, I waited for him to continue.

"And you can't quit."

"Why is that?" I inquired, rankled by his words.

"The contract we made stated you have to work for me for a year before you quit." He paused, "And if you are going to quit after a year, you need to give me a two-week notice."

I felt my head swelled as warning balls rang through my brain. "Wait, wait first, when did I agree to all this?"

"You signed the contract Grace." He sauntered toward me.

That's what you get for not reading a contract before signing.

"Well damn your contact, I am not working for you anymore," I said.

"That's not how business is done and you will have yourself to blame on the consequences of breaking our deal," He threatened, now standing right in front of me.

What have I gotten myself into?

I pushed the thought away ready to face the beast in front of me, at least with a raised shoulders. I held his eyes. "Why are you here Kunle? you could have dropped this bullshit over the phone."

"Well from the few months you've worked for me, you should know I love handling my business physically and not over the phone."

I took a step backwards, needing space to think. He was clouding my mind with his intoxicating smell and I just couldn't get my eyes off his lips despite my present predicament.

Focus Grace, focus.

"I can't work for you anymore, Kunle, I just can't." I shook my head, creating enough space between us.

"You can take tomorrow and next off, I will get the plane ready for you to leave tomorrow. But I expect to see you in your office on Monday morning with the report on this trip." With that, he matched out of the room.

***
Ken Pov

"Boss," Tobi said, walking into the dark office with the little kerosene lamp that needed urgent cleaning.

I lifted my head from the desk with sleep still lingering in my eyes.

"One of the boys from the airport just told me Grace will be leaving Abuja for Lagos tomorrow," He announced, placing the lamp on my desk that still had both pictures of Grace and Natalie underneath a can of coke.

The sleep that had me intoxicated cleared and I sat straight looking interested and alerted.

"What time will she be leaving Abuja?"

"7: 00 am."

I felt a sudden warmth that made my lips parted in a smile. "Prepare the room at the basement for her, no need for bed just ensure there is no sharp object in that room." I paused, as the excitement grew in my heart.

"Tomorrow, Stainless will pick her up from the airport with the taxi he rented from Baba last week," I continued, my instructions.

"You know the drills?"

He nodded, his face as grim as always.

"Make sure she is unconscious when you bring her in, I trust there will be no mistake."

"Yes, boss."

"And Tobi, don't hurt her," I warned.

He nodded and walked out of the room. Things were falling in place and I was sure by tomorrow she would be in my arms.

***
Glossary

Abeg make them no arrest you--- please let them not get you arrested

If them arrest me for your sake I no get issues--- I don't have a problem if I get arrested for your sake

Don't worry we go sort things out-- don't worry we are going to sort everything.

Asin make him pray to the gods of their land.-- He needs to pray to God.