chapter 29♣️

Grace

I sat before the blank television with my hands wrapped around a bottle of vodka I took from Kunle's shelf of alcohol. This was not how I planned the memorial of my parent, but it was worth the shot.

After Natalie left to catch some sleep, I decided to get crazily drunk without Monica my companion. Our trip down memory lane was filled with tears and laughter which was a heartfelt moment for us both.

The door to the sitting room opened and Kunle walked in. He stared at the bottle of vodka in my hands for some seconds.

Expecting him to complain or order me back to my room like a kid, I sorted for excuses or come back. But he walked past without uttering a word.

A few minutes later, he walked back into the living room freshly showered with his hair still wet. My eyes followed his movement from the drink shelf and to the sofa, where he sat with a bottle of red wine and a glass.

"What are we celebrating?" He inquired, his gaze on me.

I blinked with pressed lips as his eyes never left mine and only made me weak.

"I really need to know. What are we celebrating Grace?" he inquired, pouring his drink in the glass.

I broke our stares and raised the bottle. "Two years of my parent's death, cheers."

He didn't say a word.     

I turned and caught him staring at the television with keen interest.

"Are you planning on getting drunk?" He asked as I took a long gulp of my drink.

"I think so. The intention was to get drunk. Yes...yes, I am planning on getting drunk, that is why I am drinking straight from the bottle." I smiled staring at the Television that gave a shallow reflection of us both.

"You could have picked the Sunset Rum, I don't think vodka will do the trick," he suggested.

With wide eyes, I turned to met his smiling face. "Do you want to kill me?"

"I think there is a drink called Everclear, that can surely do the trick. Do you want me to show you?" He inquired with raised brows.

My lips pressed further as I ignored the comic aspect of his words and turned back to the television that served as a mirror to all he did.

"What happened to them?" He inquired, seconds later as I lowered the bottle after another long swing.

"Plane crash." I demonstrated the crash with my hands, feeling light-headed and a little sick.

"Are you drunk already? Maybe you should stop."

"Not yet, I need to finish this bottle," I said and lifted the half-emptied bottle feeling dizzy.

"You are going to crash if you try that. You need to stop Grace." His words were a plea that had no effect on me.

"Very funny," I said and pressed the bottle to my lips again. After drinking to my satisfaction, I rested my head on the sofa, right where he sat.

***

Kunle

Stressed from the day's work, I walked into the living room expecting to meet a solemn quietness as usual. But I was met with the pitiful sight of Grace seated on the floor, with a bottle of vodka.

Deciding to freshen up before stopping her disastrous plans, I took the stairs, had a quick shower and rushed back downstairs. I made a quick stop at the shelf where I got a glass and a bottle of red wine.

Intriguing her in a little chitchat, I watched her took swing after swing of the drink. Her revaluation and intention to finish up the drink had me worried, but I let her drown her sorrows.

Seconds later, she rested her head on the sofa. Leaning forward, I noticed her eyes were closed and a light snore escaped her parted lips.

I shook my head, took hold of the bottle, placed it gently on the floor and lifted her off the ground bridal style. Surprisingly, she tangled her arms around my neck and exhaled heavily.

"You are soo strong," She mumbled.
I stared down and noticed her lids were still close.

Sleep talking.

"You smell like grapefruit," She said as I took the stairs with care.

"That's the fragrance of my cologne," I replied, knowing she was awake.

I got to the door, pushed it open with a lot of effort and switched on her lights with my elbow before laying her on the bed.

"You are soo handsome," She whispered with her hands still fastened around my neck and her eyes now wide open.

Her eyes twinkled with what I placed to be desire and I let myself get lost in them.

Just then, she lifted a little and placed her lips on mine. Feeling a rush of want, I responded and got easy access to her as she fastened the kiss with an intensity that had me pushed to the walls of crazy sensations.

She's drunk Kunle. Immediately the words popped in my head, I slowly withdrew.

"You taste like red wine."

I untangled her hands around my neck and stood straight. "You taste like vodka."

I tugged my hands in my jean and watched her giggled like a two-year-old being tickled with a feather.

Definitely drunk.

Satisfied she was ok, I moved to the door ready to rest and prepare for the next day.

"Kunle, I...I...feel...sick," She said, stressing her words as if in severe pains.

I swirled around and rushed to where she sat with hands pressed to her lower abdomen.

I squatted before her, worried as she parted her lips and did the unbelievable. "Do you feel any better now?"

Her answer was another round of vomit and coughing that had me draped with the smell of vodka and her dinner.

"Better now?" I inquired as she wiped her lips with her palm.

She nodded and laid back on her bed.

"You need to freshen up."

Her response was a light snore that had me confused if she really was asleep.

"Grace." She rolled over and pulled a pillow to her chest.

I stared at my black tee with a twisted nose, my thoughts on how I almost took advantage of her.

"God Kunle," I muttered as I exited her room and strolled into mine.

***