chapter 21🌘

Kunle

I couldn't help but peep into Grace's office as I strolled into mine with Joy behind me. She kept the files she held on my desk and walked out, while I stood by the window with my mind on the commissioner's call this morning.

Grace's ex broke out of prison two months back and was currently on a wanted search with three other inmates. A crack-brain ex gliding around was enough to have me sitting straight and striving for other ways while the police did their investigation.

What exactly are you going to do?

With my hands tucked in my trousers, I closed my eyes but opened it suddenly and dashed to my phone on my desk.

I dialled Amina Hassan's a friend of mine during my National youth service corp. She worked as one of the chief security officers in the Murtala Mohammed international airport Lagos.

"Kunle long time. This one you called, hope there is no problem?" She asked, her voice brisk as always.

"Amina good morning, I know you are busy so I'm going straight to the point. Is it possible to get a video recording of activities or movement in the airport?"

"Yes, but you need a permit from the commissioner of police this is if it's police business. if not, we don't give out such information," She explained.

"I will get back to you." I hung up with little hope knowing the commissioner was already entangled in the case.

I immediately dialled his number and got a response. "Kunle my boy, hope no problem?"

"No sir, I just need a permit from you to access the security recording of the airport."

I heard the rustling of papers from the other end. "Kunle you need to let the police oversee this."

"I understand sir but I also know the police has a lot to handle right now. I just want to be part of this investigation."

"Always stubborn like your Dad." He paused and sighed heavily. "I will send Patrick to your office with a permit, You can work with him."

Patrick was the commissioner's son and my childhood buddy, but we both pursued a different path after secondary school. We both followed our father's footsteps.

"Thank you sir."

"And you say she's just a secretary?" From his end, I heard soft soughing.

"Seriously Kunle you have to report all your movement to me. Remember Patrick is the professional here so let him make the decisions." He added and hung up.

***

An hour later, I walked into the large security office of the airport with Patrick the commissioner's son by my side. He was the definition of chocolate sweet boy in a black shirt and Jean trouser.

My eyes skimmed the office filled with uniformed individuals on white, all concentrated on the computer in front of them. "I can't believe someone so young can hold the rank of a detective."

"And I can't believe someone so young can own a company, three hotels and not get arrested by EFCC or Police," he replied with a smile.

"Fuck you," I whispered.

"Fuck you too Kunle, you always start this shit guy," he replied in the same low voice as we stopped before Amina.

Her hair was covered with a black hijab that rested on her shoulders and her white long sleeve similar to the others rested perfectly on her body.

"So you requested a camera recording from Saturday's morning right?" Amina inquired with a bright smile.

Patrick nodded, he had been tersed on my intentions and had quickly gone through the may and maybe connected to it.

"Well follow me." She led the way through a door filled with television each running a live recording of airport activities.

She pushed a white painted door that led to a library filled with shelf, each shelf had a label pasted on it.

She moved to one, brought out a disk from a box and inputted it in a television set that we placed with a DVD on a desk.

"You can't leave this room with this disk, You just have to continue your research here." She pressed the play button and handed over the remote to Patrick.

"So your private jet landed at about 9:30 am? let's say she got cleared at about 10:00 am right?" Patrick asked.

I nodded observing the video that covered Saturdays events.

"Pause it please," I said as I spotted Grace in a Jean trouser and black shirt after watching for minutes. Despite refusing to see her before she left for Abuja I know it was her.

Patrick paused the video. "Ok, so this is her walking out of the airport," he said and I nodded with fixed eyes on the television.

He paused the video and turned to Amina who sat on a desk next to the shelves giving us the needed privacy. "Amina can we get a video of this exact time but covering outside the airport?"

"Yes of course." She stood and pulled out a disk, handed it to him and sat back her position.

Sliding the desk, we watched the outside camera from  10:00 am. We watched her signed a taxi, but another drove through, and she stepped in.  Patrick paused the video and replayed it a second time.

He jotted down the plate numbers of both taxi and played the video over again.

***

"What do you think?" I inquired as we walked out of the airport building.

"I can't say for sure, but I'm going to run a check on this plate numbers and get back to you," He said as we stopped before my car.

***

Ken pov

I stood outside the warehouse where Glo reception seemed to be more active. I smiled, pulling the sim from my phone and breaking it in two.

The deal had been made, her bastard boss made sure to hide his feelings, acting all authoritative and controlled and that only got me pissed.

He agreed to pay the ransom and requested a conversation with Grace. Though I assured him of her safety, the cute face doubted me and got a box full of her bleeding images.

Turning back to the building, I jogged in, whistling as I made plans for a brighter future with my woman.

***