Chapter 26🖋️

Grace

Slowly, I opened my eyes and welcomed the ray of sunlight that I craved while in the hands of Ken. I moved my hands to my bandaged head and carefully sat straight while scrutinizing my environment.

The bed was larger than any hospital or my bed back in the apartment.
The sky blue bedsheet had me smiling as I recalled seeing a similar design being sold as boxers in the market.

I rubbed my hands on the soft sheet that was surely more expensive than the male underwear and moved my eyes to the walls.

The room was painted white which matched the drawn curtains and silver chandelier that was designed in a fallen round style.

An exclusive taste that spelt money.

This brought me to the question of what I was doing here? And who's room was this?

With no one to answer my question, I gazed at my clothes. I was changed from my dirty and torn clothes to a black baggy shirt that stopped right on my knees and had a design of a car's wheel printed on it.

Letting out a sigh of frustration as I prayed to be in lesser trouble than the past few days, I carefully pulled myself off the bed and gradually moved towards the window, but the sound of footsteps from behind the door caught my attention and also increased my fears.

I turned, as the door slowly pulled open and Monica peeped in. Letting out a sigh of relief, I started at her with a smile.

My first smile in days.

"My God, you are up." She pushed the door wide and rushed to my side, enclosing me in a hug within seconds.

"Monica stop, you are hurting me," I pleaded as she squeezed harder and lifted me off my feet.

"I'm sorry." She pulled away as a tear slide down her cheeks.

"Babes stop crying Nah," I said, equally letting my clouded eyes break into waterworks.

"I'm sorry, I no fit stop am," She said and wiped her tears with her sleeves. "I thought I lost you."

"That's impossible. Even if I did got lost, I will still hunt you. Where is Natalie?" I inquired, the urge to see my sister so strong I could break down.

She led me back to the bed and sat crossed-legged. "Downstairs."

"So where are we? Where is downstairs?" I inquired, seated beside her. 

With a tensed smile, she scratched her head that was covered with a breaded wig. "Your boss's house."

"Why are we here? What happened to the hospital?" I inquired, confused and also feeling the rage in my stomach erupt.

"Calm down, your blood too dey hot."

"See kettle way dey call pot black," she said, while I  narrowed my eyes with a frown.

"I missed you," she continued, thrusting my question.

"Don't avoid my question. Why are we here?"

She smiled with her lips barely spreading into its full glory. "Some shit happened in the hospital. I think Kunle and Patrick will explain things to you."

"Who is Patrick?" I inquired as I watched her moved to the door.

She stopped and scooted back to my side. "Oh girl, you need to see this guy. He is damn cute. Like"

"Monica."

"Ma."

"Why are we here and who is Patrick?" I inquired in a serious tone, but she brushed my words with a frown and made for the door.

"Traitor and you call yourself my friend," I sneered, expecting a comeback but she turned with a grin.

"I love you, friend to a traitor." She gently shut the door, leaving me still in my confused state.

***

Kunle

I sauntered past Linda who had her back to me in the kitchen. The aroma of fried plantain and egg had my tummy sneering for something other than the coffee I was headed for.

An outburst of laughter filled the air, giving the house a vibe it never had. I rolled my eyes, ignoring the little community in my living room which consisted of Dad who was in a little argument of politics with the family Doctor Keven.

There was also Patrick who accompanied me throughout my vigil at night checking on Grace.  Chris strolled in minutes back and there was Natalia whose fingers and nose were fixed on my phone as she played the game of Candy Crush after staying awake for hours in her sister's room.  While Monica took her turn on checking on Grace.

"She's up!" Monica's voice lulled me from my trance as I recalled yesterday's event.

I turned to my elderly cook who had a white apron tied around her neck and waist. She looked up from the pan with a smile, while I placed my cup in the sink and rushed out of the room restraining myself from running. 

The moment I stepped out, I caught sight of Doctor Kevin ascending the stairs with his suitcase clutched on his hands.

***

Minutes later, he descended down with a smile that had his chubby cheeks pushed out. "She's open to visitors and quiet inquisitive so do go in next Kunle."

I nodded and rushed up the stairs with gladness. I needed to apologize for my behaviour back in Abuja. I needed to set things right.

I opened the door, just as she stepped out of the restroom in my baggy shirt. Her movement was done with much care, I was scared she could fall.

"How do you feel?" I inquired moving to the wooden dressing table while she sat on the bed.

"Fine, thank you." Her reply was short and dragged.

"I am s-"

"Thank you for taking me in but I will love to go home now," she said, cutting my apology like the sharp edge of a sword.

"That is impossible, you need to stay here for a while," I replied.

"Why? Or...have I moved from being illegally kidnapped to legally kidnapped?"

I frowned. "I never said that."

"Well please explain, why I am in your house and not in the hospital? Because I don't understand."

I shook my head and stood, not ready to argue or push things further. I thought I could handle her, I thought we could have things fixed. Turns out she was soo good at getting on my nerves.

Avoiding staring at her, I walked to the door. "Detective Patrick will explain everything to you," I said, with my back to her.

Uninterested by her response, I walked out to meet Dad and Patrick. Each wore a frown as I slowly took the stairs and head back to the kitchen.

***
Glossary

I no fit stop am- I can't stop it.

Your blood too dey hot- You easily get angry.