Chapter 38🌲

Kunle

I woke to her stares that were filled with keen interest as she rested her head on the pillow and slowly ran her hands down my cheek. The feeling was one that could not be compared and only the urge for its reoccurrence was all I longed for and silently prayed for.

"Hey."

"Are you watching me sleep?" I whispered, my voice deep and cracked as she smiled.

"I was watching you snore. God, you are a horrible sleeper and a terrible dancer."

"I don't snore I told you."

"You were like my alarm clock. So loud..."

"Lier," I said, knowing it was a made-up tale aimed at teasing me.

"I ordered room service."

Sitting straight, I mumbled, "Glutton."

Without warning, she slammed a pillow to my face and fleed from the bed, faster than I anticipated as I tried gripping. "Grace It's too early for a pillow fight."

"It's 8:00 am you lazy ass," she giggled brushing her hands through her hair as she stood before the large dressing mirror.

"You just called your boss a lazy ass, you are fired."

Turning, she gave a salute and said, "Sorry sir."

"You dey mad." I threw a pillow which missed my target and went straight for the mirror, causing rapid noise as the content on the dressing table fell.

"Ah!" Laughing, she rushed to the door to answer the bell.

***

I sat at the bar, observing the movement of workers while sipping a glass of red wine after getting the rundown of the week from Victor. The sound of laughter, the comfortable feel of the stool and the smiles from the waitress brought back memories of the last time we were in the hotel. But everything drifted to a different direction, a more perfect and beautiful path.

She was a candlelight in my dark lonely world, her impact was felt even when far apart and the changes were visible, so was the smile that crawled on my lips as I thought about her.

Grace.

Just then, the vibration of my phone drew me back to reality as I stared at the ID with my still unblemished smile.

"Kunle, what's up."

"Good, any update?" I inquired.

"Yeah, we caught the last inmate and traced some communication down to the airport last night," Patrick explained.

"That's good news. So she is safe?"

"Yeah, investigations are still going on and they both confessed to the crime." He paused. "Should I convey this to her? or will you do it? I mean she can leave now."

"Don't worry, I will break the news to her," I said now frowning for I knew it was my responsibility to inform her of the good news which could ruin our present relationship.

"Alright, take things easy over there," He advised before ending the call while I sipped my wine as the thought of losing her made me sick.

***

"Can you drive?" I inquired, throwing the keys to her as we stood beside the car ready to get dinner away from the hotel.

"Yeap, I just don't know the route's."

"Let me be your GPS tonight," I said, smiling as she pulled the door and took her seat.

"That's a flimsy line, it won't attract a fly."