Chapter 31🍒

Grace

Only the ticking of the clock could be heard as I sat crossed legged waiting patiently for Kunle who had a Ten million naira question to answer.

I uncrossed my legs and traversed them back with different thoughts running through my pounding head that was free from the wrapping of a bandage. 

I couldn't believe he was into me...Not even a tiny little bit. Therefore, I wanted to let it slide with the fact I was right but Chris's words always pulled me back creating an urge to know the truth.

Why didn't he say something? I thought, still confused as I stared at the clock that was hung above the television.

"10:30 pm," I whispered after a yearn that corresponded with my clouded eyes.

Standing, I brushed my hands through hair packed hair in an attempt to clear sleep off my eyes.

***

Kunle

Placing my briefcase beside the sofa she laid, I lifted her bridal style, just like last night. But this time, she said nothing, made no attempt to wrap her hands around.

The contact with her skin was heavenly torture as her flesh opened a blast of feelings that flowed through my body as I took the stairs slowly.

I pushed her door open, rest her on her bed, before pulling the sheet up her chest. I moved my hands to her cheeks, letting it longer as pleasure moved through my veins.

She was soo close but yet...

She couldn't be mine, I was sure of that.

Stop being stupid and tell her how you feel!

I brushed a tender kiss on her forehead and watched her turn before sluggishly walking to my room.

***
Grace

Feeling stupid for sleeping off in the living room again, I pulled my door open and rushed out.

Standing before his door, I let my knuckles brace the door for the third time. He was either not in or was purposely ignoring me. Going with the first opinion, I walked down the stairs and moved straight to the kitchen.

"Good morning Linda, Have you seen Kunle?"

"He left for work early today," she replied taking off her apron.

"Thank you." I smiled and walked out of the kitchen with my brain on a mission to sort a way I could celebrate his birthday.

I push Natalie door open and watched her jump in fear. With a dashing smile and my hands on my waist, I asked, "How about we bake a cake?"

"Yes! I don't care who's, I just need to do something, anything!" She ran past me and stopped before Linda's room.

"It's for Kunle, today is his birthday," I said, now next to her.

"That's great. Do you have a gift for him?"

I knocked on Linda's door lightly. "Nope."

"We need your help," Natalie said the moment Linda opened the door. Wearing a confused expression.

***
Situated on the same sofa as yesterday and the day before, I slide a TomTom sweet into my lips. I was determined to stay awake through my eyes were heavy already.

11:00 pm, God where is he?

Asif to cure my worries, he walked in and immediately his eyes landed on me.

"Welcome sir," I said. Maybe I wasn't ready to confront him, maybe I should have just let things slide but I needed to know everything. So I stood my ground

"Thank you." He nodded and took the stairs.

I watched him go, in hopes he returns after freshening up. But he didn't, thirty minutes and still no sign of him.

With a great determination, I moved to the kitchen, picked the chocolate cake and head to his room.

The moment I stood before his door, all my previous courage crumbled into tiny pieces as a part of me pleaded I head back while another opts for the opposite.

It's just cake, head in there. Biting down my lips, I stared at the cake that was a co-operate work.

The hard work put into it, the love just to make his day special, all this I recalled as I exhaled slowly and knock.

"Yes?" He inquired, popping his head out of the door seconds later.

I flashed a smile that was broad enough to show how fake it was. "Can I come in?"

His eyes moved from the cake to my smile that withered every passing second before he pulled the door and I stepped in.

This was my first time in his room and my inky source of light was a laptop placed on a table.

Letting my eyes adjust to the darkness, I dot around the room that seemed larger than mine.

"What do you want?"

"I came to give you this and to wish you a happy birthday," I said, with the cake stretched out as he moved past me.

"Who told you it's my birthday?"

"Chris."

He sighed louder and moved to his drapes, within seconds he drew the curtains that covered his window and prevented the moon from moving in. "What else did he tell you?"

"You never told me about the ransom money," I said, courageously as I watched him stood before the window.

"It doesn't matter."

"What do you mean by that? You were ready to pay the sum of 10million Naira."

"Can you just let it be? Let it go, please." His voice was pleading, causing a tension that had me even more confused.

I had a lot of questions to ask, I wanted to know more. I needed to know more, but I shut it all, not ready to push more or anger him, it was his birthday after all.

"Well, I came to give you this," I whispered, weak from just the little encounter.

"I don't want that." His tone was distant and several degree colds that I shivered from its impact.

My eyes went wide as I stared at the cake in my hands. "What do you want?"

Each word tasted like a bitter malaria drug. "What do you want Kunle? I can actually leave your house if you want?"

He turned sharply, but I ignored his reaction and continued, "Just say it and I swear it's all your's. I could just...I could just leave now. I know I've been a burden."

I waited for his response with a rapid beating heart as he walked to me. "I don't want that. I have all I need and want except you...I want you."

***