Epilogue🏆

Grace

With the phone pressed to my ear, I pulled the car to a stop in the parking lot and grabbed my bag on the seat beside me.  "Are you still at the office?"

"Yeap still in the office baby. Where are you?"

I was suddenly down by the idea of celebrating my birthday alone while watching TV which recently bored me with ease.

After our trip to Dubai, the change and fondness between us grew for we spent more time together than apart, though I still refused moving back to his house and got a car gift as an unrefundable offer.

"I just drove in."

I dropped from the car with my bag dangled on my hands but stopped the moment he inquired, "Has the baby kicked?"

"Jesus Kunle, it's too early."

"I am impatient."

"Just calm down, I am waiting for you ok?"

"I'm sorry babe but I won't be home anytime soon," he said with bitterness in his voice. I could tell he was as disappointed and frustrated as I was for we had this planned. It was a birthday which was to be spent together with games and recounts of histories. "But I promise to be home as soon as possible."

"No issues dear... Take you time," I said, walking slowly into the building.

"Babe?"

"Yeah."

"I'm sorry."

"It's ok... You are cooking tomorrow, I need breakfast in bed," I said but deep down praying I didn't end up with burnt food.

"I have something planned up already, I will be baking chocolate cake for you."

I snorted at the thought of Kunle baking, it meant the oven or even the house would be on fire. "Or you will order? Anyways I can't have breakfast of chocolate."

He chuckled from the other end and I knew I got him. "I will cancel the order then, let's talk later," he said as I strolled into the kitchen to check on Linda.

"I Love you." The phrase always had a renowned effect whenever it came from his lips. It was like taking in fresh air in a garden and I felt blessed.

"Evening Linda," I said hugging her after placing my phone in my bag.

"Happy birthday dear," She said as we pulled from the embrace.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Grace, I left my phone on the poolside can you please get it for me?" She inquired and I was thrown into shock. Never has Linda requested for my help not in the thinnest way. Therefore this meant something new... A deepen friendship.

"Of course."

I walked out of the kitchen and moved straight to the door leading to the poolside but the moment I pulled it open I was paralyzed by a loud chorus of, "Happy birthday!"

Right there before me was the preordered chocolate cake and Kunle who was supposed to be working overnight. Surrounding him were my friends, my sister and all those I called family. "Oh my God," I whispered steadying my breathing.

Kunle gave the cake to Monica and rushed to me. "You don't have to blank out."

"You planned this?" I said smiling as Linda joined the crowd.

His grin was wide enough to show he was satisfied by my reaction and frozen state. "Yeah beautiful."

I gave him a hard blow on his hands before wrapping my hands around his neck. "That's for making me sad, I thought I won't see you."