Chapter 28🍎

Kunle

I nudged my pillow aside and sat up. My dreams were becoming regular, more complicated, sensational, probably because the object of my fantasy was sleeping next door or because the past few days had been stress-filled.

It's been two weeks since her arrival and all I did was avoid contact with her, for it seems we couldn't stay in a room without exploding or getting into a vexed mood.

I sauntered to the window and draw the curtains that prevented the heavenly glow of sunshine.

Exhaling, I ran my hands down my face and brushed my fingers through my beard. "God, I need to shave," I said, turning to the bathroom.

***

Now refreshed, I descended the stairs with my mindset on making breakfast for the girls. I walked into the kitchen were Natalie and Linda stood making provisions for the morning meal.

"Good morning sir," Linda greeted with a smile as she moved to the freezer in a yellow grown that was covered by her apron.

"Morning sir...sorry Kunle," Natalie corrected, shyly.

I smiled and took my seat on the wooden stool facing the teenager who was still getting used to my name.

"Breakfast is on me Linda."

"And what will it be sir?" She inquired with a smile as she turned to me. Despite the fact Dad owned a restaurant, I was a disaster in the kitchen. My cooking was limited to just one meal, unlike Dad who after his retirement gave his all to learning different delicacies.

"The usual." I smiled and turned to Natalie who stared from Linda to me with folded brows like a detective would when craking a case.

"What are you going to prepare?" She inquired the second Linda left the kitchen.

"It's a surprise." I moved to the door and gestured her out with a smile.

"I can't wait to try your meal," she said and strolled out, leaving me to work my one-man wonder.

I matched to the cabinet, brought out the needed ingredients before putting on a white apron and cap.

***

Grace

Two week of freedom, two weeks of no work, two weeks of comfortability and more importantly two weeks of no fear.

I sluggishly walk downstairs with Natalie leading the way to the dinner table where Kunle walked on his phone with a frown. It seems his frown was a permanent part of him, an expression that hardly weaver.

"Good morning sir," I greeted and took the seat beside Natalie.

"Morning," he replied, sparing me gaze and a nod.

Just then, Logans middle-aged cook pass by the living room in a yellow gown and black sandal. "Morning Linda."

"Good morning Grace," she said, with a contiguous morning smile. I watched her left the living room. Her destination, probably her room.

Without saying a word or prayer, Logan led in dishing the meal of rice and beans while we followed suit.

A moan escaped my lips as I scooped a spoon full of the food into my mouth. This gained me curious stares from my breakfast mates.

"This is good, Linda is really good," I said, ignoring their stares and my table manners, I took another spoon full.

I lifted my head from my meal and met Natalie's suspicious grin. "What?"

"Kunle made the meal," she said, dropping the bomb giggling.

I turned to Kunle who sat his spoon on the table avoiding any possible eye contact.

Embarrassed by my display, I took another spoon and push my chair little. "I'm full, thank you," I said, quietly.

Kunle stared from I to the food with folded brows and only shook his head. Despite his reaction, I picked my plate and head into the kitchen.

I slowly shut the door, moved the cabinet and dived back into my food. Food was no man's enemy and could never be mine.

Just then, the kitchen door flew open.

Without being told, I knew who it was, the alarm that rang in my head was enough to tell.

Slowly, I  turned with my mouth full and watched him walk to the double stainless sink. Without sparing me a gaze, he kept his plate and walked out.

***

After breakfast, I peeped into Natalie's room which was located downstairs, next to Linda's. A room choice I discovered was made by Natalie who wanted aiding in the house chores.

"Natalie," I said, pushing the door wider and strolling in.

"Sis, are you ready for tomorrow?"

I tilted my head a little and ceased my brows, confused on what the next day held.

"Tomorrow will makes it two years." She said noticing my confused stare.

Jesus, I totally forgot.

Exhaling, I laid beside her and stared at the ceiling in contempt, remember the sadness that lingered with the day. It was the remembrance of Mum and Dad, who died June 3rd of 2017.

"We can mourn them here." I rolled over and smiled, feeling pains in my heart and the sting of headache.

"Hmm."

"I am sorry. I am soo sorry."

"For what?" she inquired, her tiny voice a replica of mum's.

"We had things planned out but we can't do any because of me. Look at me...I am under lock and check," I explained feeling guilty as she sat straight with red eyes. Saying I felt the blow of our parent's departure alone was a lie. Though I was the eldest, Natalie wasn't left out in the insult and pains that came from relatives.

"It's not your fault," she smiled. "It's just, I miss them." She wiped her tears with the edge of her shirt.

I sat up. "I do too but right now, there is nothing we can do. So Iet's watch a movie. You are crying already and I hate it."

"You are tearing up too," she said,  giggling and pointing at me. 

"Seriously?" I moved my hands to my face and found it dry.

"You dey mad I swear." She burst into laughter, took the phone Kunle got a week back for me and scrolled to Netflix.

***

Glossary.

You dey mad-- You are mad.