Chapter 25⚙️

Ken

She slowly shut the door with a smiled while I nodded watching her in her blue scrub and nurse cap.

"Sorry but you need to excuse me sir," she said. Her tiny voice was a perfect combination for her petite figure that could get her mistaken for a teenager.

I nodded mulling over my next step. Leaving the room without accomplishing my mission of either slashing her throat or wrist would be a great loss to all my plans.

The movement of the nurse drew my attention as she stopped before me with a smile that displayed her patience.

I moved closer to her, an attempt to walk out but I rather pulled her to my chest and placed the knife on her neck.

"Don't scream," I whispered but still covered her lips with my palm.

She bobbed, sobbing into my hands, an action that got me highly irritated.

"Good, now walk." We moved slowly towards the door with the pressure of the knife still pressed to her neck, while her white cap dropped to the tiled floor.

Sweat rolled down my forehead as we moved to the door.  But it flew open, an obvious indication that the stars were not in my favour.

I pressed my lips, mentally swearing as I pulled the nurse backwards and held the eyes of Grace's boss.

***
Kunle

We stopped in front of the hospital where she was wheeled into an emergency ward while I waited right before the door. Few minutes later, she was transferred to a private ward with her head and hands bandaged.

Immediately I was assured of her safety, I called Monica who ran in minutes later with a dark skin girl I guessed to be Grace's sister, Natalie.

Giving them the due privacy, I walked out to use the restroom, leaving them with both the doctor and a now sleeping Grace.

Strolling back to the room, I felt the buzzing of my phone. "Did you find him?"

"No, but I'm on my way to the hospital. How is she?"

"Out of the emergency ward and sleeping," I said, now standing before the door.

"I will be there in a few seconds."

Seating my phone back into my pocket, I pulled her door open and gasped as I met the unexpected scene.

The moron who had half Lagos state police officers on their toes stood with a knife pressed to a nurse.
The nurse stared at me, sobbing as her pleading eyes held mine.

"And I finally get to meet prince charming. Do I need to  remind you not to come closer?" His smile gave him the look of a monkey with beards. "It's soo nice to meet you."

"I wouldn't say same but can you please calm down, drop the knife so we could chat better?" I requested, knowing if he ever let the knife go his head would be smashed to the wall behind him.

His smile widens into a grin. "Sure."

He pushed the nurse to me, sprinted to Grace, placed the knife on her neck and he stared at me. "I did let the knife down you know."

I helped the nurse stood and watched her ran out of the room, leaving the door slightly open.

"Seriously you don't want to do that," I said, taking a step forward.

"Oh try me and move closer." He pressed the knife.

With raised hands, I stopped my movement but prayed for an opportunity to slide through. If given a chance I knew I could beat the bastard in physical combat, breaking his skinny form with same blows he threw on Grace.

Just then, the door flew open and Patrick and four police officers rushed in with their guns pointed. "Hands up!"

"Fuck you!" Ken yelled his stares moving from me to the police officers.

"You are surrendered Ken,  just give up," Patrick said. He moved to my side, gun still pointed.

"Yeah, I can see clearly smart ass." Ken burst into laugher, raising his hands.

"Drop your weapons," Patrick said, slowly walking towards him.

"I just can't." Swifty, he moved his hands into a stabbing motion.

Just then, the sound of a gunshot filled the room, followed by the screams of Ken as blood poured out of his hands.

***

"How can she sleep through all those noises?" Monica inquired, her voice shaky as she held on to Grace's hand while Natalie sat beside her.

"An Injection, to subside her pains and help her sleep," I said, glaring at Patrick who had me in a handcuff for sending Ken's tooth flying out of his gum with a blow.

After getting shot, Ken was taken to a ward for treatment with two officers standing guard, but what I wished for him was death.

"One of the boys is still missing," Patrick said. His words caused an ache in my head as I stated at Natalie.

"Will...Will she be safe here?" Monica shattered as she stared from I to Patrick.

"Yeah, my men will be here twenty-four hours."

"She can't stay here," I said, my voice cold and deep. "I think the hospital has gotten their full today and if one of them is still out there, he knows where she is and will come for her. We all saw what Ken did."

"What is your suggestion?" Monica inquired. She walked from the bed to where I stood with my back to the door.

"We move her out of the hospital."

"Come on, the girl is barely conscious of her environment for christ sake," Patrick said, his hands massaging his neck.

"I spoke to the doctor."

"You what?!"

"So where are we moving her?" Monica asked, ignoring Patrick's outburst.

"My house."

"What?!" They yelled at the same time.

"I have security camera's all over the house, the boys probably don't know where I stay and your men can petrol the vicinity. Simple and short," I explained, gesturing with both hands still handcuffed.

"I see your point but you make me feel like the police are not capable of doing their job." He paused with a frowned. "I need to speak to the commissioners, he is in charge of this case."

"Before that, please take this off." I stretched my hands and watched him slowly brought out it's key.

"You know she won't accept this, right?" Monica said after Patrick took off the cuff and walked out.

Caressing my hands, I looked up. "It's for her own good."

"When did you start caring about her own good?" She asked with tilted head and crinkled brows.

"She is my staff and I am doing my best to protect her. Imagine what would have occurred if I hadn't stepped into this case or if I didn't walk into this room on time?"

After minutes of silence from her end, she said, "She's going to hate me for accepting this shit."

Just then, Patrick walked in with an officer behind him. "The commissioner agreed to it, I don't know why he did. We can move her if the doctor gives his approval." He paused, his eyes on me.

"I will be dropping by everyday to check on her and my men will patrol your house twenty-four hours. But this is till we get him."

I nodded agreeing to his proposal. All I wanted was her safety, I didn't care what the cost was.

"Let's go see the doctor and know if this is really possible."

We strolled out of the blue-painted hospital room where two police officers stood outside the wooden entrance and another, guarded the girls within.

***