Chapter 27🐚

Grace

Getting him mad was never the intention, but the event that occurred during our last meeting still had me tensed.

You need to calm down Grace. My subconscious was at work again, though I knew I needed to keep my cool and not let past event cloud my reasoning.

Exhaling, I stood and moved to the window, I stared out the drawn curtains which view was of a parking lot filled with cars.

Just then, the door opened and I sighed, believing it was Kunle.

"I'm sorry," I said, with my back still facing the door.

"Sorry about what Miss?" The male voice was relaxed and unfamiliar.

Immediately, I whirled towards the door and focused my stare at the muscular young man who wore a smile that gave his face the beauty it deserved.

"I am detective Patrick," He said with an extended hand.

No wonder my friend was going crazy. I thought, taking his stretched hands with a smile.

"You have a lot of question, I know. But I will advise you have breakfast," He said, as always at the mention of food my stomach gave a loud cry.

"I need to know everything," I said, ignoring the rumbling and bite of my stomach.

"Why am I here? It seems everyone is avoiding this question?"

"We believe you will be safer here. One of the boys is  out there and we are doing everything possible to get him."

"Why not the hospital?"

"Let's have a seat then," he said pointing to the bed.

After I got comfortable, and he did same on the dresser seat  Kunle exited seconds back, he said, "You were attacked by Ken in the hospital. He also attacked a nurse but we thank God no harm was done."

"Is Kunle ok with me staying here? I mean we both don't flow much."

He smiled. "He actually proposed the idea and was ready to do anything possible for it to be accepted."

I held my breath and blinked repeatedly. Shocked by his words.

"I know Kunle can be an ass. Don't tell him I said that, but I think he means well."

Sighing, I nod. "What about Natalie? What happens to her?"

"Natalie ended her Junior exams last week, we believe it will be best if she stays here. This is until this case is wrapped."

"And Monica?"

"She agreed to stay with a friend. Though we ensure twenty-four-hour protection."

"Thank you soo much," I said, as relief washed through me.

"I'm just doing my job," he replied with a smile.

"Were you able to retrieve the belongings they took? My laptop and clothes?" I asked, moving to the less important stuff.

"Sadly, no. But I will be going to your apartment with Monica. All I need is a list of all you and Natalie need."

"And Ken?" I inquired as my stomach rumbled louder than before.

"I think we can continue this later, you need to eat," He insisted with a smile, "Downstairs or here?"

"Here please and I will love to see my sister please."

"That is not a problem." He stood and left the room, while I processed his words.

***

Still, in the baggy shirt, I focused my stares on the bedside lamp as I let my mind wander to a various life problem. My rent and the security of my sister inclusive.

It was late evening before the crowd of visitors left my room. Monica left with the detective, Kunle's dad left for pressing issues in his restaurant. Chris decided to go home to get some rest. After my encounter with Kunle, he never stepped in.

I stood from the bed, ready to head downstairs for the first time.

The moment I opened up, Kunle stood before the door, with his hands stretched about to knock.

"I was about knocking."

Seeing reasons to explain, I said, "I am tired of staying indoors, I need some fresh air,"

"Can we talk?" I inquired, ready to set things straight.

"A minute please, I need to get something from my room." He walked to a room opposite mine and strolled out seconds later.

He led the way down the staircase while I observed my new environment.

The house was painted with a crisp matte white colour and had an exclusive sliver crystal chandelier just like in the room I now own.  Art frame hung on the white walls and a  large flat-screen television was seated in front of a highly expensive grey and white leather cushions.

He led me past the living room, a gym room that was left open and strolled into another which I immediately placed to be his study room for it had shelf filled with book and was painted blue.

I took the seat before him while he faced me on a desk that was neatly arranged.

"I'm sorry about earlier," I said, knowing  I needed to make things right. He was not just my boss anymore but also my landlord, housemate, and next-door neighbour.

"Sorry about?" He inquired, his face void of any emotion.

"For being blunt."

His eyes scanned me while I shifted uncomfortably on my seat. "What?"

"Nothing, it's just quite unusual for you to admit guilt. You usually come up with excuses or fight fire for fire."

I narrowed my eyes and continued, "I wanted saying thanks."

"For?" He inquired with ceased brows.

"Taking me into your house and everything." I paused feeling the need to ask his reasons. "But why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you taking the risk, I mean if this guy is out then you are also at risk right?"

"You are more at risk." He said after a few seconds of silence.

"Bu-"

"I ordered a phone and laptop which will be coming in today, you can work from home when you feel better," he said, changing the topic.

I pushed the seat and stood. "Thanks but I don't want to be indebted. I promise to pay back." 

"No one is asking you to pay for anything."

"I know, I just don't like feeling helpless and useless"

"You are just unbelievable," He muttered under his breath.

"Thank you, I really appreciate everything," I said before walking out our. I heard him huffed as I closed the door and walked into the gym next door.

***