Chapter 19🏍️

Kunle

The fast motility of my phone beside me made me turn. I was not ready to pick knowing deep down any business could wait.

It was Sunday, a day of rest to everyone but obviously not to the persistent caller who didn't take a break. Wearing a frown that could affect whoever it was, I picked the call taking note of the ID.

Unknown number.

"Where is Grace?" The unknown caller asked out of thin air.

"Who is this?" I inquired, confused but ready to take control of the situation.

"It's Monica, Grace's friend. I have been trying her line since yesterday and it's not connecting. I need to speak to her," She explained.

"Well, I don't know where she is." Seeing it as a prank from Grace I was ready to end it. Grace left Abuja yesterday and according to my report, she was in Lagos already.

"Now listen," Came the commanding voice from the other end. "My friend told me you made arrangements for her to be in Lagos yesterday and I have not seen or heard from her. It's not like Grace to not call when she's not coming home," She said, finally stopping to catch her breath.

"Well she's not here," I said and hung up, but my phone vibrated almost immediately.

"Young lady, I..."

"It's rude to end a call that way, don't you think?" She said, cutting me short as I huffed from her words.

"Anyways, I will call you back but if you hear from her do same. I'm just worried else we won't be having this conversation, it would have been something different. Good day." With that she hung up, leaving me staring at my phone.

Getting over the episode, I stood from my bed, walked to the window of my suite and dialled Grace's line to confirm if this really was a prank.

***
I walked out of my suite with my briefcase.

Yesterday's dinner was quite exhausting, with Temi raising hell at my inability of persuading Grace to stay for her planned dinner and Dad also fuming from my behaviour Friday night.

The heat was all about Grace.

My phone vibrated as I walked past the reception area. Seeing the number alone had me stressed.

"Have you heard from her?" Monica, Grace's friend inquired.

"Not yet, have you?" I asked, equally getting worried as I walked into the parking lot.

"If I have, why would I be asking?"

My eyes narrowed at her response as I knew her aim was to get me pissed.

"Did you ask her boyfriend or something?" I held my breath waiting for her response, knowing deep down my reason for the question was purely selfish.

"She does not have a boyfriend if that's what you are asking." Her tone was as dried as harmattan breeze.

Letting out the caged air in my lung I said, "I will be in Lagos in less than two hours just let me handle this." I paused, looking around the parking lot that was packed filled with cars and only two bikes.

"But let me warn you and your friend if this is a game you both are playing it's not going to end well," I said and hung up, sliding into my car.

***

The thought of her missing was like an explosive volcano in my head. Restless and ill from just thinking about it, I picked my phone from the sofa in my bedroom and called the Lagos State commissioner of police Mr William Coker, a close friend of Dad. His wife, popularly called aunty Maggi was mum's best friend.