An Angel at the Door

Angela's POV

"Welcome to the Horde foster home, please take a seat at the table." Said the tall, boney woman with a shrill voice that sounded almost passive-aggressive.

"You must be Shadow Weaver," I said.

"Adora!" Shadow Weaver called

Out walks a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl. Her eyes drained of all hope. I presume because of her age she assumes no one would want her.

"Hello, it's a pleasure to meet you, miss" Adora said to me with an enthusiastic tone, yet I could still feel the fear behind her words.

"No need to be so formal Adora, you're a teenager. I don't expect to be fostering the queen of England" I say trying to lighten the mood

She stood there, face frozen.

"So, Adora. Tell me about yourself. What do you like to do?"

"I enjoy football, I'm the quarterback for Frightzone High" she mumbled

"Adora!" snapped Shadow Weaver

"You mustn't mumble dear." Shadow Weaver said, more peacefully.

"I could hear her just fine. Do you think it is possible to speak to her privately?" I asked, hoping that without Weaver's presence Adora would open up more.

"Fine, I'll be upstairs if you need anything."

"Now Adora, how long have you been playing football?" I asked

"I've been playing for years. Me and my friends Lonnie, Kyle, and Rogelio would play in the yard for hours on end right up until they got adopted." Adora said with a much more cheerful tone than her last response.

"My daughter, Glimmer, is a cheerleader for Brightmoon High's football team. She always wanted a sister her age to hang out with. If you allowed me to foster you, you could play for Brightmoon, and have your own personal cheerleader."

"You really want to foster me?" Her eyes, I see hope in them.

"Of course. Now should I go tell Shadow Weaver the good news while you pack your stuff?

She bolted up the stairs.