42

-Rose-Present-

"I can't help but love you
Even though I try not to."
-War of Hearts By Ruelle

The entire school is buzzing with talk about cotillion, although we've still got a few weeks left. Brooke rambles in my ear about a gorgeous dress that she will be wearing and Cooper nods along beside me. I stop by my school locker and get out some books for the next few lessons.

"He's so disgusting." Brooke whispers spitefully and I turn to look at Billy and his new blond girlfriend. I screw up my face in disgust.

"Maybe your breakup was a blessing." I mumble honestly and she rolls her eyes. I've always found Billy to be a complete prick, him cheating on Brooke just proves it. I glance at Brooke, checking to see if she is okay but thankfully she looks more angry than sad.

"You never know, maybe this happened for a reason and you're going to meet someone that you will fall in love with." Cooper says, his eyes glossed over like he is in a dream. I notice the way he is staring at Caspian from across the hall and I smirk.

"Maybe she's already met him." I mumble, gesturing to Ben as he strolls over to us with a big grin. Brooke elbows me, silently telling me to shut up and my smirk widens.

"Since when do we have a mock?" Ben asks, looking dumbfounded.

"We've always had a mock. He told us last week but clearly you weren't listening." Brooke remarks and slaps a piece of paper against his chest, most likely filled with revision notes. She already had it out like she knew he was going to come over.

"You're a god send." Ben leans forward, places a quick kiss against her cheek and quickly walks away. Brooke blushes and keeps rooted to the spot, dumbfounded. She matches the colour of her hair. Cooper and I exchange a look, smirking.

"Either of you say anything and I will stab you with my pencil." Brooke warns, her eyes threatening. I press my lips together, wanting to blurt out a remark so badly that it takes all my strength not to. Then she turns on her heel and saunters off.

"I can't remember the last time I saw Brooke blush." Cooper teases, leaning back against the locker with a lopsided smirk. I laugh. Before I respond, I instinctively glance over to the other side of the corridor and my heart sinks.

Sarah leans against Will as his arms hang over her shoulders lazily. They lean back against the locker, talking to a few of the football team. Jealously burns in my chest but I try to tell myself that it is nothing. Then she presses her hand against his chest and leans in to whisper something in his ear.

He glances up, as if feeling my stare on him and looks at me blankly. He doesn't move away or look guilty, he smirks. Without saying anything to Cooper, I turn around and walk down the corridor.

I shouldn't be jealous. He isn't my boyfriend. He isn't mine. But I am and it makes me more angry because I can't help it. I head to class but before I can, Will comes up beside me and pulls me into an empty class. I'm so startled that I let him.

He shuts the door and I lean against one of the tables, glaring at him. He turns to me. I'm surprised to see his eyes so blank and so cold that it reminds me of before we started whatever this is.

"What do you want, Will?" I snap angrily and curse myself for sounding so pathetic.

"I'm going to be honest with you." He tells me nonchalantly and I can't get over the way he is looking at me. So cold and so empty. "I had a lot of fun but now I'm bored of doing this. I didn't come back for you, I came back to have a fun senior year."