43

-Rose-Present-

"God, I'm so blue, know we're through
But I still fuckin' love you, babe.
I know we weren't perfect but I've never felt this way for no one."
-Driver's License by Olivia Rodrigo

Riverbrook's annual charity for the homeless is not what I want to be doing right now. Why can't I donate a shit ton of money to the people that deserve it at home? Why do I have to go to a fancy gala that we all know has nothing to do with those homeless people and is just an excuse for rich people to dress up and judge each other?

And yet, I'm sitting in the back of my father's fancy limo, dressed up and sat opposite my father and Lola. I have to admit, my dress makes me feel better about going to the same gala that Will is going to.

Cooper and Brooke had searched my closet last night, trying to find the best dress for me to wear tonight. I think they've done a pretty good job. The dress is blue, but the most beautiful colour blue I've ever seen. It is revealing, thin straps, full of sparkles and lace and is long. My blond hair is tied up in a low ponytail.

My father sits opposite me, looking intense in a suit and reminds me way too much of James Bond. Lola sits beside him, dressed in a pink dress that I would usually consider ugly but she somehow manages to pull it off. I hate her even more for it.

The limo stops and my stomach flips. Usually I'm not this nervous. But I also haven't spoken to Will since he broke things off between us. My father and Lola climb out and I follow, plastering a charming smirk on my face.

We have to walk up these steps to enter the large city hall and then when we enter the fancy building, I finally see everyone. I've always found this room beautiful, with golden arches as windows and the ceiling decorated with pictures.

Music plays loudly but not loud enough that people can't hear themselves speak. Half of the crowd of rich people are dancing, the other half are drinking at the circle tables on the other side of the room. I know exactly where I am going to be.

"I still don't understand how Thomas got away with being able to stay home." I grumble, folding my arms.

"Rose, he already had plans." Father responds and I scoff. Yeah right.

"Are you ready for this?" My father whispers absentmindedly, glancing at me warily. I scoff again and swiftly grab a champagne glass off of a passing waiter's tray.

"Judgemental looks, drunk rich people and business talk? Of course, this is the highlight of my year." I grumble with a fake smile on my face. I lift the champagne to my lips, ignoring the burning sensation as I down the entire thing like a shot.

"Can you slow down?" My father orders, taking the empty glass from me with a frown. I roll my eyes. If I'm going to have to endure the next few hours of my life here, I'm going to do it whilst looking good and with a drink in my hand.

"I'm sorry, what was that? I can't hear you." I shout loudly, as if the music is too loud. My father glares, Lola tries to hide a laugh.

"Fucking hell, don't embarrass me." He grumbles and I wink, giving him another smirk.

"I would never, father." I grasp at my chest sarcastically, wave him goodbye and head over to the tables. I find my table. As usual, Brooke and Cooper sit beside me and Ben is sat opposite. Much to my dismay, Will is sat beside him looking fucking good in that suit.