9

-Rose- 7 years ago-

"You're everything I thought you never were
And nothing like I thought you could've been."
-Broken-hearted Girl by Beyoncé

My father thought taking us out for the day would help us become closer as a family. But since we got to the pier, my mother and father have been bickering over everything. The theme park is full of laughter and kids and families and I feel so out of place.

My older brother is at his friend's house and of course, my dad didn't force him to stay. Instead he let him go so I'm the only one that has to endure this torture. I messaged him earlier, begging him to come but he told me to fuck off.

"I want to go on that ride." I say excitedly, pointing at the highest ride out of the entire theme park but my mother shakes her head. I've always found my mother beautiful. Her hair is blond like mine and super curly and her eyes are bright green. I notice how heads turn her way whenever she walks anywhere but she pretends not to notice.

"No, Rose." My mother tells me sternly and I pout before taking another bite of my cheese burger. She pulls a face of disgust, grabs my burger and throws it in the bin. I open my mouth in protest but she gives me a stern look. "You shouldn't eat that kind of stuff. You may be skinny now but you won't be skinny forever. I can already tell you are gaining weight. Do you know what I eat? Salad. That's it. Boys don't want a fat girlfriend."

"Whatever mum." I say simply, sighing in frustration but I look down and I put my hand on my stomach. Maybe I have gained some weight and I should stop eating so much fatty things. If I want to look half as good as my mum, then I should listen to her advice.

"There you are. I was just getting some candy floss for all of us." My father tells us as he comes over, his usual scowl on his face as he hands me the candy floss. I glance at my mum but she gives me a knowing look, making me frown. "I know you love it."

"Dad, I'm not 5. I don't like candy floss anymore. Do you know how sugary that is?" I snap spitefully and my dad raises his eyebrows in surprise as I throw it into the trash. My mum looks approving so I don't feel as guilty for speaking to my father so badly.

"Stop encouraging her to eat that and let's go home." Mother announces and turns around to walk back to the car. She pulls a face at a homeless man and as I'm about to give him money, my mother grabs my arm and pulls me away again. So much for a fun day out.

********************************************

The car ride is awkward as my parents start arguing about something I don't understand. I remain staring outside at the rain beginning to fall, trying to ignore their fighting. As they grow louder, I feel more and more suffocated.

This is a constant in my life. The unnecessary arguing and screaming. As soon as my father stops the car, I jump out and run inside quickly. I head upstairs and put my headphones in immediately and press my back against my door.

Closing my eyes, I listen to the music and try to ignore the screaming coming from downstairs. When they argue, they get violent and I've witnessed it too many times to count.

The fighting has got through my head phones and I flinch every time their voices are raised. My father screams, my mother cries and I take off my headphones and turn around to face the door. Tears roll down my cheeks as I listen to the horrible things they are saying to each other. How can someone love another person and be so cruel to them?

"Hey Rose bud, my dad wants me to take you to..." I hear Will's snappy voice from behind me and I spin around to face him. He is wearing smart clothes and I notice how he looks more handsome than usual. He frowns once he sees my tear streaked face, which makes me flush with embarrassment. "What's wrong?"