14

-Will-Present-

"I took your heart
I did things to you
Only lovers would do in the dark."
-Still don't know my name by Labrinth

Another week drags by and the school is pressuring us about making our GPA's higher due to college. I don't take much notice of it because I have no fucking clue what I want to do about college. If it were my father's choice, I'd be sent to a local college for part time classes, majoring in business until I take over his company.

I have no idea what I want to do. Which is why I'm currently sitting in my back yard, surrounding by my peers who are getting fucked. This is the one time where we don't have to be the perfect sons and daughters of socialites. We can just let loose and have fun.

Another girl is sat on my lap and I ignore the daggers that Sarah is sending my way. I have a cigarette in my hand and a drink in my other like I do every party. Cooper and Ben are completely fucked so they are mostly slurring their words. I've built up such a tolerance for alcohol that it takes me a while to get drunk now.

"If you could have any superpower in the world, what would it be?" The girl on my lap asks but I'm barely listening. My eyes are focused on where Brooke, Rose and Billy are stood on the other side of the pool. Daniel lurks beside her and I frown.

"Mind reader." I blurt out and Ben raises his eyebrows at me. Rose throws her head back with a laughter that is surprisingly genuine. Billy glares at her and I wouldn't be surprised if Rose is finding amusement from pissing him off.

"Definitely immortality and flying." Ben and Cooper say in unison before looking at each other in shock. "Jinx!"

"I'm heading inside." I groan and push the girl off my lap. She frowns but doesn't protest and instead sits on Ben's lap. Inhaling my cigarette, I stroll inside the house, past the few people left to leave. It is late so I'm guessing they will all clear out soon.

I slouch down on the sofa, drinking my whiskey and find myself staring at the family photos on the wall. Through the years of growing up, my parents used to force me to do so many photo shoots for Christmas cards and family photos. But they are all fake.

Behind the big photo on my wall is the dark secrets of the Cole family. Behind the beautiful women's smile is a control freak who is a mean bitch. Behind the man's smile is a child abuser who is cruel. Behind the child's smile is an alcoholic.

I sometimes wonder if my mother ever cared that I had to hide my bruises away from everyone. Wonder if she realised I used to flinch every time someone raised their hand. Wonder if she realised how many sleepless nights I used to have out of fear that my father would come in.

Taking another sip of my whiskey, I lean further back into my sofa and look up at the TV. I'm too wrapped up in my own thoughts to realise that Rose sits beside me. I turn to look at her, only slightly and notice how irritated she looks.

She steals my whiskey but before I can protest, she places it to her lips and takes a sip. Her eyes are cold and she has a blank expression on her face. Clearly she is having the same kind of night that I'm having.

"I didn't realise that we ran out of alcohol outside." I snap grumpily and snatch back my bottle. She doesn't respond at first and concentrates on flattening out her sparkly dress.

"I'm not here for the alcohol." Rose admits. "I'm hiding from Daniel but most rooms are occupied. I'd rather sit with you then a couple making out, even if I do despise you."

"You only despise me because of how bad you want me." I whisper seductively and twirl a strand of her hair around my finger but she glares at me. Her legs instinctively press together and her breathing becomes slower but I don't think she even notices.