CHAPTER 53

Alexis

"Yes Liam," Liam rattles on from the phone pressed between my right shoulder and cheek, "No, I will be there on time."

Ellie rolls her eyes laughingly while typing away at her phone, "God he's so stressed."

"Yes, Liam I know how important this is to you, and no you won't fuck it up," I pluck out a red and a navy dress and hold it up in front of Ellie, "Of course he'll like it, why wouldn't he?"

I jiggle the hangers of the dress in front of her face so she can overcome her Instagram addiction for a minute and help me decide on a dress. Ellie smiles at me and sheepishly and points at the navy one, mouthing 'classy' at me.

I dump the dress on the bed with a 'thunk' and sigh, "Liam listen to me, everything is going to be fine and you are going to have a wonderful performance, stop overthinking it. Andrew will love it and so will everyone. Now I am going to cut the call so I can dress up, so I wont be late."

"Yes, yes sorry it'll be fine," Liam says in a very it'll-not-be-fine-at-all tone, "Everyone will love it. Bye, see you soon."

I mutter a bye and hang up, Ellie giggling at me, "I didn't know he could be that stressed,"

"Tell me about it."

Liam's spring recital is today, in three hours and to say he's freaking out would be an understatement. He's literally on the verge of breaking up with Andrew because of the miscommunications caused while he was practising for it, so it's not a surprise that he wants this to go perfectly.

I can't really blame him because lately I haven't given him any reason to believe that I would be there at his show, let alone giving him reason to count me. It's been a week since the run-in with Aaron at the psych class, and Ellie told me I looked like one of those morbid zombies from those terribly made, low budget sci-fi movies but with lipstick on. Apparently lipstick is more important to me than anything else in this world, even my own heart. But no matter what, I wouldn't have missed Liam's recital, I am not yet so far gone that I'd forget important this is to him or the hours he spent in the music room.

As long as Aaron is concerned, he's barely looking in my way, and when he does, I have to look away because the reflection of his heart breaking in his pine green eyes is more pain than I can handle even on my best days. But when he does decide to speak to me- which has happened barely twice- it's usually passive aggressive snarkiness. I don't really deserve anything better.

I push away thoughts of Aaron preening at the border of my mind and plaster a cheery smile on my face; I rub a hand over my aching shoulder and ask Ellie, "So you think the navy one is better?"'

She dumps a handful of popcorn in her mouth and says with her mouthful, "I mean, yeah the red dress is very club-esque, but the navy one makes you look like you're going to," she swallows, "seduce a duke in your nare with just three smiles and half a dance."

"So...Daphne from Bridgerton?"

Ellie chews on her lip for a bit, "Nah, she's very bland," Ellie continues with a flourish of her hand, "more like Madame Delacroix."

A laugh bursts out of both of us and I give the dress a onceover. Silk navy blue in color, it's an off-shoulder dress, with Sleeping beauty's neckline and while the dress is fitted to the core, there's a slit running up to my thigh, which lends the whole thing a very scandalous look.

"I'll need you to curl my hair," I tell her pointedly.

She gives me a salute, "Yes ma'am!" but then very softly adds, "It might ensnare a Duke, but I am also sure it'd ensnare a bright green eyed hockey player, with a mop of black hair."

I roll my eyes even as they're burning with tears threatening to spill, "I mean, a duke is better no? more money and fame."

Ellie laughs half-heartedly and then says, "He'll be there, you know."

"I know. He's everywhere."

Two hours later, I am sitting in front of the mirror, praying to every God that will listen, to not let Ellie burn my ears.

Ellie's tongue peeks through her lips in concentration as she curls a strand of hair just above my ears. Too close to my ears for my liking, but Beyonce said pretty hurts and she was absolutely right.

"Please don't burn my ears," I plead, my face a mask of dread.

"Shut up. Let me do what I am doing peacefully."

We're both dressed and ready to go and as soon as she's done with my hair, without burning any part of me, we should be good to go. But I have high doubts that my ear will come out of this whole ordeal without getting charred.

"There!" Ellie exclaims, as she twirls the curled strand in her hand before brushing it out.

"Dear Lord, thank you for watching over me," I mutter, loudly enough that Ellie smacks me in the head with the hairbrush.

"You're an ungrateful piece of shit."

I feign a gasp, "I risked my ears for you!"

"If you don't shut up before we leave, I am throwing you in a dumpster by the road," Ellie threatens.

"Ouch."

"Also, no singing. You sound worse than dying crows."

"Double ouch."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guyssss!! how have you been?! I am sorry it took so long, i had my exams and my new semester just started this week and when I tell you, I am buckling under the course load, I mean it. 

on a side note, I have a recommendation for you and it's heartbeat by mackiet13 it's literally so good you'll absolutely love it!! I promise!!

In the mean time, please don't forget to vote and share and follow me on instagram and twitter ♥️