CHAPTER 31

Aaron

"You know what sucks more than losing?" Sam asks, shrugging off his sweaty t-shirt.

"What?"

"The tongue lashing we are about to get from Coach in about five minutes."

Everyone visibly flinches from Sam's words, the words ringing in their ears as if coach is going to manifest himself right now in front of them. I drag my legs to walk but they feel like they are made of iron and wood. I went to the infirmary, but the nasty bruise on my shoulder also needed a painkiller along with that soothing ointment and a sympathetic glance from the Doctor.

But that isn't even the worst part; we lost. Brutally.

The first half was magical. We moved like fluid, keeping an edge of four points over Boston College. But I don't know what happened in the second half. All we know is that they unleashed their beast mode and we went down at a lightning speed.

Logan got hot-headed, missed a very easy goal, got into a brawl and got benched. I collided with Drew Reynolds and we both went tumbling down on the ice and I sprained my shoulders. Dean, being the stupid shit that he is, decided to go drink last night and had to play with a hangover. Or at least, pretend to play. Only he knows the meaning of the clownery he did out there.

"Do you think he's going to suspend me?" Logan asks, rubbing an ice pack over his, now purple, jaw.

"You're the team captain," I snort, "I don't think you'll be suspended."

"You're safe, man, at least you didn't come to play drunk," Dean slams a locker door shut, the vibrations reverberating through the room.

"Yeah man, what the hell was that about?" Hunter asks, irritated.

"Are you out of your mind?" Will, who's usually the quietest and most reserved among us, chirps us.

"I am sorry, guys," Dean pinches the bridge of his nose, "I-I just...I didn't know it'd be so terrible the morning after."

"What did you expect after getting drunk?" Logan snaps, "That it'd be all roses and rainbows and it'll have the same effect as drinking milk."

It wasn't the sound of Logan, friend, boyfriend, a kind and sometimes a sassy person. No, this was the unyielding sharpness of a Captain leaking through. A side of him we rarely got to witness, unless provoked. Captain Logan was a hard, disciplined and sharp man and usually kept under a tight leash.

"I am sorry, Logan" Dean lowers his eyes and answers gravely, "It wont happen again."

"It better not."

I straighten my spine at the rough, but angry voice booming from the threshold. Even Logan looked scared as he acknowledged him.

"Coach."

"Captain Logan," Logan doesn't even flinch from his tone, "What a mess of your team."

"I am sorry, Coach," I am a bit wobbly on my feet, my ankle still sore from my fall. Big mistake.

"Oh, Princess!" Coach says cheerily, "Were you wearing heels on the rink? Is your leg okay? Are your dainty slippers okay?"

"I am sorry for that. I lost balance."

"Lost balance? Aaron, should I send you to learn how to skate with eight-year-olds? How can you lose balance?"

"It wasn't his fault, Coach" Hunter steps in, "Drew slammed into him."