CHAPTER 47

Alexis

Earlier that day

"Dad what is wrong with you?!" Angry tears are threatening to spill any moment now, "What was possibly so important it couldn't have waited until after!"

"You will not talk to me in that way," Dad says with an eerie calm.

"Why did you call me?"

"Sit down, we need to talk."

"Dad I-" I protest but he glares at me and points one finger towards the couch and I fall silent.

I know better than to argue when Dad's got that expression on his face. The 'I will make sure you have no new clothes for the next three years' expression. But it doesn't help with the fact that I am super pissed at him for ruining my date; The one I had been waiting for days now.

I plop down on the couch and don't waste a second, "What is it?"

"What were you doing with that Richards boy?"

"Well, I was playing Friday night bingo with him, Dad." I give him a sweet smile.

"Alexis, do not deflect and answer me straight away."

"What's wrong, Dad?" I am starting to get worried now and he doesn't seem all rainbows and unicorns either.

"What were you doing with that Richards boy?"

Suddenly the hem of my dress seems so much more interesting but wait, is there a lose thread ? I fidget with it for a while before mustering up the courage to tell him, "I was on a date with him."

"Is he your boyfriend?"

"He would've been today if you didn't interrupt us," I mutter.

"Since when have you been going out?" he looks down at his shoes, breathing heavily and I know this is not going to end well. Looking down, talking slowly? It's one of his telltale signs when he is mad.

"Dad," I ask softly, "What's wrong?"

"Since when did it start Alexis?" Here's another sign. He rarely ever calls me Alexis; he only calls me that when I fucked up. Major. I rack through my brain, searching for anything I might have done to get him in such a terrible mood.

Haven't keyed anyone's car.

Haven't snuck in alcohol inside the classroom.

Haven't been so rebellious that I almost got expelled.

So I don't know what's bothering him so much.

"It's been around two months or so since we started hanging out," I rub my palms together, slowly looking him in the eye and regretting it as soon as I do.

He is mad; mad doesn't even cover it, he looks beyond furious. If he was an animated character, there'd be plumes of smoke coming out of his nose and ears. I can practically see that happening.

"Why?"

I sit up straighter and look him dead in the eye, "First tell me what's wrong?"

"Well I guess why you decided to date him doesn't matter," He gives a dry chuckle that raises the hair on the back of my neck, "But what does matter is that you'll stop seeing him."

My head hurts as if I have just been slapped; I haven't been but I might as well have been, "What?"

"You heard me."

"Yeah and I am not sure how you lost your mind but you clearly did," I don't know what to make of his words. I don't understand anything and I cant form head and tails of his words.

"Enough Alexis. You'll do as I say."

"No not this. This I wont."

"Oh you will, I wont have you dating some loser with the Richards genes in him."

"Please don't bring your stupid business rivalry in my life!" I yell, my anger getting the best of me.

"Oh I have to! I have to if you decide to date the last person you should date."

Every bone in my body is shaking with rage. This is why he decided to drag me out of there? So he can shove his nose in my business. I will not stand here and listen to him bullshitting about Aaron just because he has issues with Daddy Richards.

"You don't know what you're talking about, Dad! Aaron is one of the sweetest person ever and he is also more talented than anyone else I know, you'd know that if you stopped being so delusional and actually got to know him!"

"Oh darling, I don't think that's necessary," He smirks and I know whatever is about to come next, will be strong enough to shake me off my feet, "You'll break up with him yourself by the end of the night."

"What do you mean?" I ask cautiously.

Dad settles himself on the couch and with a sly smile he says, "Last year the hockey team got into a mess. A big mess, because of your darling Aaron and his best mate Logan."

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion, "What mess? I didn't hear anything."

"You didn't because I handled it. They vandalised school property, they were drunk and broke a fountain," He smirks at me and it sets off fire alarms in my head, "I paid your Dean to keep it quiet because I knew, I knew back then too that doing this for a Richard is a good weapon to keep in hand."

My feet are glued to the floor and my head feels light. I am floating and there's nothing to drag me down. My ears are ringing, is it because I am floating in air? Am I floating in air?

"Dad what will you do?"

"A blunder that big should've gotten him expelled, even if he is a Richards. And so he will be if you don't act right."

"That's not true," I whisper, the voice barely reaching my own ears, "You wont be able to do anything now."

"Oh is that so honey? You forget the Dean and I go way back and most importantly, if I want something, I get it," He gets up and brushes the non-existent creases from his pants, "And right now I want you to end things with him. Or I will end his college life."

"Dad, why are you doing this?" I can feel the onslaught of tears on my eyes and I rapidly blink and look down. He is not getting my tears. Not after this shit he pulled.

"Honey, the clock is ticking, do your job soon."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do we think, huh?

Also, I am so sorry for being so late, I went to Mumbai, to attend my sister's wedding. Tested negative, don't worry. But I will be more regular with the updates, I promise.