CHAPTER 45

Aaron

Two hours after Lexie leaves with her Dad, I am on the road driving in circles, trying to put the plummeting feeling in my gut to ease. It's been a long day and I just want to go to bed, but everything inside me is screaming that something is about to go wrong and messy and I hate feeling like this.

All of this because Lexie's dad decided to drop down from nowhere and ruin my first actual date with the girl I am probably falling in love with; I don't want to think about it, I don't want to think about how she'll react when she finds out I am falling in love with her. She doesn't look like someone who would fall for someone easily and I am too afraid to breach that territory.

But even if she does fall in love with me, there's the issue of our fathers screaming down our throats every two seconds. Dad already knows so hopefully that wont be a problem-who am I kidding- but Lexie's dad didn't seem too thrilled about it. If anything he seemed furious.

I rest my head against the seat and I feel my eyes drooping. This is all just so much and God my head hurts. I just wanted one night with her, where I can have her all to myself, how did it go downhill so fast?

My phone buzzes, making me jump out of my skin and I park the car to the side of the road. Dad's calling and it immediately has me in flight or fight mode; he never calls me on my phone. Never. Not only it's the day after a test or a game.

Did something happen to mom? The thought is enough to jerk away any form of slouch and worry and wash a new wave of nausea over me. Not mom, please not mom.

With shaky hands, I pick up the phone, "Dad?"

"Aaron where are you right now?" his voice sounds agitated and my blood pressure level spikes up at that.

"Out, why what's wrong?" my eyes drift over to the rear view mirror and a tired face stares back with messy hair and dark circles under my eyes.

"Where is he?" I hear mom's face drifting in the background.

"Is mom okay?"

"Yeah yeah," my shoulders sag with relief at his words, "But we're at your place and Logan doesn't know where you are either."

The levels which dropped, spike up again, "What are you doing there?"

"Just...just come here fast, we need to talk to you."

"Dad I-"

He hangs up the call.

Thirty minutes later, I am jogging up my driveway and my hands are clammy as shit. I don't know what to expect when I get inside. I texted Logan but he didn't say anything and my parents rarely ever come here and I don't know what has to be so important that they reach here at seven in the evening.

On the way home, I scanned through every possible scenario that might have happened. Even Dani's next dinner is like two weeks away so I don't know anything about that either.

I get in and I almost crumble to the floor when I spot my mom with worry shining in her eyes, twiddling with the pendant at the base of the throat. Relief swims through me as I see that she is okay. She spots me first and comes running towards me.

"Oh baby where have you been?" she wraps her arms around my torso and I go rigid.

"Mom what's wrong?"

"Honey..."

"I'll tell you what's wrong, Aaron," Dad's voice thunders through the staircase.

I look up and I see pure, unbridled rage laced in his eyes. His mouth is set in a grim line and behind him, Logan is trembling, his dark eyes cast with fear.