CHAPTER 27

Alexis

A lot apparently.

"We don't have to do this, you know. We can leave," Aaron suggests beside me.

We are sitting at the chamber or cabin, or cubicle or whatever that is called. I have no knowledge of Ferris wheels and I don't plan on having any.

"I will be fine," my voice sounds raspy and forced to my own ears.

"Okay," Aaron nods and slides his hands in mine, "If you need to go down, just squeeze my hand okay? You don't have to say anything, just squeeze."

I manage a chuckle at his words, "Are you going to all Spiderman and carry me from the top bridal-style?"

He throws his head back and laughs, and God! It's frustrating how good he looks, even after such an eventful day, "If that's what it takes to get you down, then yes."

The Ferris wheel goes up a little bit and I clutch Aaron's hand in a death grip, "What happened?"

"Relax, Ellie and Logan are getting in the next one."

I look down to see Ellie get on a wobbly passenger cabin and Logan laughing behind her while helping her in. When they are both settled in, they look up and give me a reassuring smile.

"It's going to start now," Aaron points towards a middle-aged man who's pushing some buttons at the machine in front of him, and several lights go on, "You'll be okay, Lexie?"

I nod my head yes the same moment the Ferris wheel sets into motion. A wave of nausea hits me all over.

This was a terrible idea. I shouldn't have gone all commando out there. What if I faint? What if I fainted in high school, not because I had an empty stomach but because I am inherently scared of Ferris wheels? I need to google what is the fear of Ferris wheels called? Ferrophobia? Ferriswheelophobia?

"Aaron."

"Yeah, baby? What's wrong? Do you need to go down? Are you scared?" Aaron looks at me, alarmed.

"What's the fear of Ferris wheels called?" I ask through gritted teeth.

"What?" he looks at me like I have lost my mind and honestly? I probably have.

"What's the fear of Ferris wheels called? You know, the phobia?"

He purses his lips and is trying really hard not to laugh right now, "I don't think that exists."

"It does, check."

"Alright," he fishes out his phone from his jeans pocket and googles the question with one hand. His other hand is still wrapped around mine, "Look at this."

I lean over and read the screen displayed over his shoulders, "But it says here, acrophobia is a fear of heights, not Ferris wheels."

"Well, you're only afraid of Ferris wheel because you are afraid of heights," Aaron explains.

"I am not afraid of heights, I am just scared of Ferris wheels."

"Maybe you are some weird specimen science can use for research," I flip off Aaron's smirk.

"Not funny."

"Yet you haven't peed yourself from fear. Look around Lexie, it's a beautiful evening."

We are quite high now and the ride is moving slowly; I am not dumb enough not to know that this pace is just the calm before the storm.

The sun has set almost completely leaving a purple glow behind it. The whole carnival is washed over with twinkling lights of pinks and blues and it looks like something out a fairy tale. I can see children lined up at the cotton candy stall awaiting their stall and a group of boys near a shop selling bandana. Guess some people are digging the surfer boy vibes.

But as beautiful as it is, it also manages to call upon my fear. The Ferris wheel stops mid-motion. At the top. As in we're at the highest point.

"What happened? Why did we stop?"

Aaron looks down slightly and shrugs his shoulders, "Probably someone is getting on."

"Okay," I whisper, and then make the biggest mistake of my life.

I look down.

And reel back with an alarming intensity that sends our cabin oscillating back and forth.

"Lexie, Lexie," he grabs my face and turns me towards him, "It's okay. Breathe. Look at how beautiful everything is from such a height."

A small and unsure smile tugs at the corner of his lips and my heart pools inside my chest at the way he looks. His hair is a black mess and his eyes are dark green and wide awake, but it isn't enough for a dumbass like me because I look down again.

"Lexie look at me."

I don't pay heed to Aaron's words and instead, look at Ellie and Logan below us. They are clicking a selfie while Logan has his hands in a victory sign just behind Ellie's head. I realize it's better now, I can faintly hear 'She looks so perfect' by 5 seconds of summer from the ground and I am not dizzy this time either.

"Lexie, don't look down, look at me."

I can hear his protests but I don't listen. His hands are still wrapped around my face and the fingertips are calloused from years of hockey, but they are gentle on my skin.

"Lexie, baby, please look at me. Don't look down."

Dear God, I don't even want to imagine what's going to happen if I fall from here. I am ninety percent sure none of my bones would withstand the fall and it'd be so embarrassing. I don't want to die from a Ferris wheel, that is so humiliating. I can't even imagine what Dad will go through.

'Oh your daughter was a clown and she fell from a Ferris wheel and died because she was too jittery and couldn't sit straight.'

"Alexis!" Aaron snaps, "I said look at me!"

I tear my eyes away from the ground and look at him as he slams his lips on mine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't hate me too much for ending it here, *pleading face emoji*

@JustJayoo   @inwarddramatist   @Democritus-Dawn  here's your update, and yes I did, in fact end it here.